Lamp Check?

Craig

My recently purchased 04 Ballabio runs beautifully. The only "problems" I want to deal with soon are the malfunctioning high beam indicator light and low fuel level indicator. I recently filled up at 126 US miles and put in 3.749 US Gallons. I think I should have seen a low fuel light. So, either the bulb is burnt out or there is another problem. Is their a "lamp check" method that tests the bulb circuit, or do I need to pull the lamps and check them the old fashioned way?

I don't generally worry about low fuel lights and use the ODO. But this is only my second fillup I am trying to not to experiment on running out of fuel. Is the low fuel light a known weakness on the bike?

Likewise for the high beam indicator lamp.

My recently purchased 04 Ballabio runs beautifully. The only "problems" I want to deal with soon are the malfunctioning high beam indicator light and low fuel level indicator. I recently filled up at 126 US miles and put in 3.749 US Gallons. I think I should have seen a low fuel light. So, either the bulb is burnt out or there is another problem. Is their a "lamp check" method that tests the bulb circuit, or do I need to pull the lamps and check them the old fashioned way?

I don't generally worry about low fuel lights and use the ODO. But this is only my second fillup I am trying to not to experiment on running out of fuel. Is the low fuel light a known weakness on the bike?

Likewise for the high beam indicator lamp.

if it's any consolation, i've not seen my lo fuel light either. although the batt/charge light kinda works when it wants to(the charging system works fine)all other lights work like they're supposed to.

i usually fuel up at 150 to 170 miles,maybe it'd come on if i went further, i dunno. think i put 4.3 us gals. in it once.

your mileage seems kinda low, don't know what others get, but my '02 le Mans usually gets low to mid 40s, with a high of 47.8 mpg (oddly enough when i was pushing it pretty hard in the mountains). i have a power commander & mistral silencers. (silencers?..ha!)

and i live where it rarely gets above 70 deg F, it gets MUCH hotter where you live, i don't know if that would have any bearing on your mileage. or the low fuel light.

cheers, stef

is that a lotus 7?

if it's any consolation, i've not seen my lo fuel light either. although the batt/charge light kinda works when it wants to(the charging system works fine)all other lights work like they're supposed to.

i usually fuel up at 150 to 170 miles,maybe it'd come on if i went further, i dunno. think i put 4.3 us gals. in it once.

your mileage seems kinda low, don't know what others get, but my '02 le Mans usually gets low to mid 40s, with a high of 47.8 mpg (oddly enough when i was pushing it pretty hard in the mountains). i have a power commander & mistral silencers. (silencers?..ha!)

and i live where it rarely gets above 70 deg F, it gets MUCH hotter where you live, i don't know if that would have any bearing on your mileage. or the low fuel light.

cheers, stef

is that a lotus 7?

I am a bit concerned about the mileage but since most of the riding I have done has been at 100F+ I am going to wait until it is cooled down. This bike has a PCIII USB and Mistral silencers. I am not sure of the tune.

My avatar is a Brunton SuperStalker that I built a while back. If you are interested there is lots of info on my wordpress page: enderw88.wordpress.com

Interesting, I was out checking my fuel range and light today.

My light will first give a glow at 4.2 US Gallons. The light may then go out and on intermittently until the tank needs 4.5 gallons. The light is more likely to stay on at idle or low throttle openings. I just don't think your tank was low enough to light it.

It is notable that my Sport has an early tank with the pump outside. Although billed as 5.8 gallons, I have drained it fully and only gotten out 5.1. Riding, I only assume a 5.0 capacity (all USGallons). Your later tank may behave differently. That said, the wires to the sensor have been known to break loose. Have a look under the boot of the sensor.

More commonly, these V11 do get 32-38 mpg. Usually less in the colder weather. There are certainly guys out there getting over 40, but not as commonly. Your 34 is on the low side and could indicate time for a tune up and reset on the PC.

You are certain your actual high beam is coming on? Otherwise, those little bulbs in the instrument panel are pretty easy to change.