Help replacing trip reset knob

Ducwad

When I bought my 2003 Lemans RC the trip reset knob was broken off - looks like the plastic separated from the brass insert. So I ordered up a new one from MG Cycle. It came yesterday and I proceeded to try and take off the brass insert so I could thread the new one on.

Is there a trick to getting it off? :huh2: If I turn it one direction it resets the trip meter. If I turn it the other direction it just seems to spin. Do I need to jam a gear somewhere to get it to unthread?

When I bought my 2003 Lemans RC the trip reset knob was broken off - looks like the plastic separated from the brass insert. So I ordered up a new one from MG Cycle. It came yesterday and I proceeded to try and take off the brass insert so I could thread the new one on.

Is there a trick to getting it off? :huh2: If I turn it one direction it resets the trip meter. If I turn it the other direction it just seems to spin. Do I need to jam a gear somewhere to get it to unthread?

dunno but I think its a reverse thread.

I'm not sure what the reset knob looks like but I had to do it on my Mk1 le mans many years ago, this may or may not help you.

I didn't remove the piece that was inside the speedo, what I did was used a small drill and bit in a pin vise. I drilled the shaft coming out of the speedo and epoxied,(Chemical Metal or similar will do), a small panel pin with the head cut off into the hole,leaving a piece protruding out, I then drilled the shaft that was attached to the knob and epoxied and inserted the other end of the panel pin into the drilled hole, left it for a day 'til the epoxy had set solid, by using a small nail or similar it re-enforces the strength of the shaft and makes a solid join.

I have used this on a number of occasions, it's basically using a 'dowel', It has worked on my BSA speedo knob too.

Hope it helps

Robert

I just did this. There is a very small phillips head screw that keeps the reset knob from pulling off. It is normal thread. Insert a jewelers screwdrive in and remove the screw.

I got a 02 Le Mans and I just take off the instrumentation few weeks ago to replace a bulb and I did not recall removing any set screw. The knob will just spin off if you turn it in one direction (can't remember which way, sorry) but I think you just keep turning and when its tight it just keep turning the number dials so you know its set.

My instrument is the white face Veglia's, the black face version might be different?

Just in case there is a difference my Speedo is the black face ITI model.

When mine broke I had to disassemble the speedometer to get the broken bits off. After seeing how crappy the stock knob is, I decided to make my own.

477055563_yxbFB-M.jpg

477055498_5zESG-M.jpg

477055453_qFirU-M.jpg

477055370_i388z-M.jpg

No troubles since. :thumbsup:

When mine broke I had to disassemble the speedometer to get the broken bits off. After seeing how crappy the stock knob is, I decided to make my own.

Beautiful work. When my speedo gets back from Palo Alto maybe I'll make one myself. I haven't had a good excuse to use my lathe in a while.

477055563_yxbFB-M.jpg

477055498_5zESG-M.jpg

477055453_qFirU-M.jpg

477055370_i388z-M.jpg

Cool. Any interest in making more?

• 2 weeks later...

I got a 02 Le Mans and I just take off the instrumentation few weeks ago to replace a bulb and I did not recall removing any set screw. The knob will just spin off if you turn it in one direction (can't remember which way, sorry) but I think you just keep turning and when its tight it just keep turning the number dials so you know its set.

My instrument is the white face Veglia's, the black face version might be different?

Mine ended up being the same but someone had put some type of locking compound on it. While I had the speedo open to check the gears I was able to pull it off. Too bad the knob sold to me doesn't fit. :angry:

The direction where it is spinning is the direction to unscrew it (tightening resets the trip). Can you tell if the plastic hull of the broken knob is spinning around the threaded bush? If so, you may have to gently gently (did I mention gently) squeeze it with small needlenose plier to get it started. (Mine has no set screw either...although it would be nice to hold it on). k

I saw MG cycles have different types of reset knobs for sale when I was on the site last week. Check over there and see if they have one that fits your bike (I'm sure there is).

Good Luck

Frank

I saw MG cycles have different types of reset knobs for sale when I was on the site last week. Check over there and see if they have one that fits your bike (I'm sure there is).

Good Luck

Frank

Yeah that's where I got the wrong one. I have to go back and get the other one now :glare:

The direction where it is spinning is the direction to unscrew it (tightening resets the trip). Can you tell if the plastic hull of the broken knob is spinning around the threaded bush? If so, you may have to gently gently (did I mention gently) squeeze it with small needlenose plier to get it started. (Mine has no set screw either...although it would be nice to hold it on). k

Nah, plastic was totally gone. I have to order a different one or live without as I may have to replace it anyways as it only registered about a 1/10 th of a mile per milenridden last time out.