Mistral rebuild

MArkS

The Mistral carbon fibre slipons on my 2002 Tenni have grown annoyingly loud in the past year. I suspect that the packing has been destroyed by exhaust pulses over the years. Have any of you rebuilt your Mistrals? Any help with materials & procedures greatly appreciated.

I remember hearing from one the manufacturers (Two Brothers, not Mistral) that a big V-twin will need repacking once a year since closed throttle engine braking was destructive to the packing. That was their explanation.

That said, I haven't heard anyone here repacking their canisters. Not that they don't need it, but somebody's gotta take those loud pipes out and save lives . . . :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, did you check directly with Mistral to see if they have a kit or their own recommendations?

The Mistral carbon fibre slipons on my 2002 Tenni have grown annoyingly loud in the past year. I suspect that the packing has been destroyed by exhaust pulses over the years. Have any of you rebuilt your Mistrals? Any help with materials & procedures greatly appreciated.

some manufacturers sell rebuild kits with the glass material and rivets etc.Personally I have always just wrapped the center perferated tube with 1 wrap of 50mm woven glass tape without adhesive and then packed the rest with fibreglass wool from roof insulation batts.

Ciao