General Odometer Warning

Craig

My Ballabio odometer/trip meter gears stripped last week. Based on a recommendation from the forum I packed up the speedo and shipped it off to Palo Alto Speedometer. Today Hartmut informed me that he can no longer get the repair parts to fix the ITI odometers. He called around several places in SoCAL and cannot find the parts. He is returning my speedo to me.

Any ideas on what to replace this with? I really don't want to run around with no indication of miles on the tank.

This was on Guzzi Tech some time ago.

I know it's not the most elegant solution, but;

mount a Garmin Zumo?

I am going to adapt some 3-3/8" VDO gauges. I like the bike and I don't want to ghetto it. I have plenty of fabrication expertise. When I fix it I want it to stay fixed, and salable. I will keep detailed notes and post them on my BLOG. I kind of don't feel like something is mine until I have done serious work on it, so this might just what the doctor ordered.

I am going to adapt some 3-3/8" VDO gauges.

I just did the math on that: call it 86mm vs. the stock 80mm size; seems like a pretty good fit, and VDO are legendary.

Please keep us posted on the specific VDO part #s you choose and obstacles overcome in this project: I suspect it will have far-reaching f/x on the older Guzzi community in general, & V11 owners in particular! :thumbsup:

Check out www.egauges.com, they have a VDO 3 1/8" electronic speedo that will drop in the dash hole that tops out at 120 mph, or the 3 3/8" gauge that goes to 160 mph. My odo/trip meter just took the same shit a couple of weeks ago and I'm needing that second one :ninja:

So, my Ballabio is at 14,067 miles and holding for the last year or so. I’m planning on getting a 3-1/8” VDO speedometer

VDO Speedometer

and an Acewell speed sensor

Speed Sensor

This should match the tach OK, and the sensor cable should mount in the place of the existing speedo cable.

I haven’t done this yet, so take the idea for what its worth.

So, my Ballabio is at 14,067 miles and holding for the last year or so. I’m planning on getting a 3-1/8” VDO speedometer

VDO Speedometer

and an Acewell speed sensor

Speed Sensor

This should match the tach OK, and the sensor cable should mount in the place of the existing speedo cable.

I haven’t done this yet, so take the idea for what its worth.

This thread at Guzzi Tech indicates the Acewell isn't compatible with the VDO.

Check out www.egauges.com, they have a VDO 3 1/8" electronic speedo that will drop in the dash hole that tops out at 120 mph, or the 3 3/8" gauge that goes to 160 mph. My odo/trip meter just took the same shit a couple of weeks ago and I'm needing that second one :ninja:

I ordered the VDO Viewline Onyx Speedo and Tach from them yesterday (I have used them several times in the past with good experiences). I considered using a 3.125" (80MM is what the originals are) speedo, but there was no 3.125" tach with an 8K range. So I went with the 3-3/8 with LCD displays, so I will get a clock too!. I will have to ditch the rubber gasket between the rear plastic gauge cover and the gauge ring.

I am going to adapt a GM speedo sensor to the transmission.

It will take a few weeks to clear my schedule to do the work, but I will take detailed pictures with what I come up with. Tonight I need to pull the speedo cable and measure the threads. I am hoping I can machine a thread adapter between the MG metric thread and the 7/8"-16 thread the GM sender has. If not I sense a JB weld solution coming on.

There's a 2003 V11 Sport for sale over here. that has pretty white face Veglias. Why wouldn't they just drop in?

My 'new to me' 2003 LeMans just ticked over all of 3 miles on a 30 mile trip so I may be headed in the same direction soon. Sigh.

There's a 2003 V11 Sport for sale over here. that has pretty white face Veglias. Why wouldn't they just drop in?

My 'new to me' 2003 LeMans just ticked over all of 3 miles on a 30 mile trip so I may be headed in the same direction soon. Sigh.

The Veglias, apparently, aren't that much more reliable than the ITI's.

My odometer went away a year or so ago...am surviving on the trip and a log book. I will watch your progress with alternatives, but will probably end up with the Garmin. That way Docc can flash me the trip tick. Cheers. k

Instead of having mismatched gauges, have you considered a digital one from Koso?

I am replacing the ITI tach with a VDO that matches the Speedo. I saw the Koso units too late, they seem like a reasonable alternative.

I am detailing the conversion in this thread.

I found this Auto Meter mechanical gauge. It's the right size at 3 1/8"

Does anyone know if the existing speedo cable will work? The square drive is .104" which I believe is correct. Is the cable input 5/8” x 18” thread?

Then the final question would be what is the drive ratio coming off the transmission? This one needs a 1:1 ratio.