02 V11 Engine Mount Bolt size?

GuzziYang

I don't know how a engine mount bolt can fall off or come lose but mine did. It only got 5,500 miles on my Le Mans and I have no idea how this could happen, could the factory forgot to installed it in the first place? My right side front engine mount bolt is missing (the one next to the exhaust headers).

Can anybody tell me the size, thread and length of the allen bolt? I'd check the parts book and it only gives a part number but no size or any spec.

Thanks

Frank

I looked at the one on my bike. It is a 12x35mm socket head capscrew. You can get one at Fastenal. Also there is a washer beneath the bolt. The lock washers I use in these applications are called high collar lock washers. They are the same diameter as the head and will fit the bore of the hole in the frame.

Engine mounting bolts on any bike can loosen up over time. I found a few engine mounting bolts had worked themselves loose when I bought my bike with 7000 miles on it. Check them all including the porkchop bolts and hit any loose ones with blue loctite.

My bike was missing the right one when I purchased it second hand. The guy I bought it from was plainly scared of riding it...the handling really tighened up with replacement of the bolt. Loctite is your friend. k

Thanks for the feedback and info. 12mm bolt x 35mm long. How about the pitch? 1.25 or 1.5? My local hardware only carry corse thread 1.7 so I guess I have to mail order or special order.

I believe it is a 1.75 thread pitch, infact if you need a factory bolt with washer, I think I have one from when I parted my V11 Sport out years ago. Just send me your address and I will get it in the mail.

Mike

Thanks for the feedback and info. 12mm bolt x 35mm long. How about the pitch? 1.25 or 1.5? My local hardware only carry corse thread 1.7 so I guess I have to mail order or special order.

I believe it is a 1.75 thread pitch, infact if you need a factory bolt with washer, I think I have one from when I parted my V11 Sport out years ago. Just send me your address and I will get it in the mail.

Mike

Thank you for the offer Mike! I could definitely use the bolt and washer, Pm on the way. This time blue lock tight all the frame bolts and pork chops. Check with MG cycles and they don't carry the engine mount bolts so its either dealer or specialty stores.

If you don't come up with one, I have one. The ones on my bike are plated but the one in my spare bolt bin is black......... Just let me know!!!!!!!!!

The bolt arrived today, thanks Mike! It is 12mm bolt 35mm long by 1.75 thread pitch. No wonder the bolt fall off as 1.75 thread pitch is too corse/wide for engine mount with vibrations to dealt with. All the Japanese engine mount bolts are 1.25 pitch which is fine thread. I guess the Italians never learn or just as stubburn as the British :) I'll thread lock all the engine bolts for sure after this.

Frank