speedo drive

GuzzBun

I've just had a complete rebuild done on my V10 Centauro, including six-speed gearbox, V11 swing arm and wider rear wheel. Frame, engine and gearbox powder coated satin black. Only problem I now have is sourcing a speedo angle drive for the gearbox - local suppliers have none and apparently Guzzi have stopped making them! Anyone got one for sale or know where I might be able to get one from?

Centauro 2.jpg

I got my last one from MPH Cycles http://www.mphcycles.com/ about two years or so ago. Do not know if they still have any stocked. Talk with Todd. k

It was my understanding that the late bikes with the straight speedo cables also used the newer black faced speedos which are different than the white faced versions :huh2: You need to check the angle adaptor to see if it is a one to one ratio, if it is, then you can go with a straight cable.

Mike

It was my understanding that the late bikes with the straight speedo cables also used the newer black faced speedos which are different than the white faced versions :huh2: You need to check the angle adaptor to see if it is a one to one ratio, if it is, then you can go with a straight cable.

Mike

That's a good point, I have to fix my cable over the weekend, I will report back.

Update:

Yes - the ratio is 1:1 however the gearbox changes the direction of rotation so unless you want to ride in reverse you will also

have to remove the gearbox at the other end.

I was given an outer cable from a LeMans, this has a right angle tube on the gearbox end, obviously it connects to the gearbox and

speedo without the angle drives.

I tried it on the V11 Sport, it fits the gearbox end but the speedo end will require some adaption, a different size nut for starters

and the cable passing around the headlight. Since I have to make up a new inner anyway that shouldn't be a problem.

• 3 months later...

in the picture it looks like you have one mounted??

here it is, they say that it's in stock: "ab lager"

http://www.wendelmotorraeder.de/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_8_10_8487_8488_8492&products_id=1028615

Wendel do supply this part - I've just obtained it from them but paying was a right pain - UK banks charge a lot for the Euro bank transfer.

However, I also found the following solution:

You should find that the angle drive that fits the back of the Borletti speedo (GU01760430) and is supplied with a C bracket is in fact identical to the 60 degree angle drive that fits the on gearbox (GU04768300) but lacks the metal insert with knurled bit required to screw it onto the gearbox. GU01760430 (instrument end part) is available from Gutsibits, is still in production and can be adapted as follows: prise out that metal insert from your knackered GU04768300 and push into GU01760430 ensuring that the input drive shaft is properly located in the slot in the nylon worm. As a result I now actually have two functional GU04768300 parts. I also replaced the speedo cable while at it and ensured the straightest possible routing to maximise lifespan of this precious fragile part. However, I don't have huge confidence: the angle drive is under quite a lot of stress from the cable friction, especially at full handlebar lock and I think I'll need both GU04768300s before long.

I'll let you know.

• 2 weeks later...

in the picture it looks like you have one mounted??

here it is, they say that it's in stock: "ab lager"

http://www.wendelmotorraeder.de/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_8_10_8487_8488_8492&products_id=1028615

Wendel do supply this part - I've just obtained it from them but paying was a right pain - UK banks charge a lot for the Euro bank transfer.

However, I also found the following solution:

You should find that the angle drive that fits the back of the Borletti speedo (GU01760430) and is supplied with a C bracket is in fact identical to the 60 degree angle drive that fits the on gearbox (GU04768300) but lacks the metal insert with knurled bit required to screw it onto the gearbox. GU01760430 (instrument end part) is available from Gutsibits, is still in production and can be adapted as follows: prise out that metal insert from your knackered GU04768300 and push into GU01760430 ensuring that the input drive shaft is properly located in the slot in the nylon worm. As a result I now actually have two functional GU04768300 parts. I also replaced the speedo cable while at it and ensured the straightest possible routing to maximise lifespan of this precious fragile part. However, I don't have huge confidence: the angle drive is under quite a lot of stress from the cable friction, especially at full handlebar lock and I think I'll need both GU04768300s before long.

I'll let you know.

I should have a brand-new, original unused Guzzi version of this still if anyone is interested. Email me at leafman60@hotmail.com