To polish or paint?

PeteTW

Hey V11 fans

I know it's a fairly common problem...my alternator cover is starting to look tatty as the silver/grey paint is peeling off.

What have you done? Does it polish up nicely on the bare metal or have you repainted?

Look forward to hearing your experiences and seeing pics of the work.

Ride safe

Pete

Hey V11 fans

I know it's a fairly common problem...my alternator cover is starting to look tatty as the silver/grey paint is peeling off.

What have you done? Does it polish up nicely on the bare metal or have you repainted?

Look forward to hearing your experiences and seeing pics of the work.

Ride safe

Pete

Hi Pete,

I have the same problem as you so I've decidded to get som some thinner and remove the old paint. A splash of matte black and I'm happy. If you're loaded get a CF cover; costs a fortune but looks ace.

See this link: CF alternator cover

Cheers

Søren

Nitromors from Halfords will remove your existing paint within seconds- it's great fun, makes the paint go crinkly then you can peel it off in big strips.

I'd be tempted to polish it myself- as long as you don't mind having to polish it now and then to keep on top of it.

Nitromors from Halfords will remove your existing paint within seconds- it's great fun, makes the paint go crinkly then you can peel it off in big strips.

I'd be tempted to polish it myself- as long as you don't mind having to polish it now and then to keep on top of it.

I think the paint stripper/ polish option sounds good. I know it'll need to be polished regulalry but I like cleaning my V11 and it will be better than my attemps at home spraying.

Thanks for the opinions

Pete

I've decided to get it anodised red to match my pork chops of course :homer: . I'll remove it during my winter lay up, but as the weather is being very kind in SE England that might be a while yet :thumbsup:

Also the metal number plate back plate is starting to rust and bubble so I'm going to make one up in aluminium and get that anodised red too!

I'll post pics when it's done :cheese:

Pete