OK, the Buell thread

Guest captain nemo

Guest captain nemo

Many of you Guzzisti know I almost bought the Buell XB12R Firebolt. One of the things I LOVE about this bike is the front wheel and brakes. Have you seen the front brakes on this thing? Check them here:

Buell

That's the patented Zero Torsional brake. Very powerful and light - very light wheel too.

OK, does anyone know if this front wheel and disk set-up would work on our V11s? What measurements would I need to take to the Buell dealer to find out?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't Ghezzi & Brian use something similar on one of their bikes?

Even better they sell the parts that SHOULD fit our bike...possibly with modifications.

http://www.ghezzi-brian.com/tuning_MG.htm

Note the Paioli forks are shorter than ours assuming you would get them to simplify brake installation.

The rear OZ wheel does not have cush drive which can shorten shaft and transmission life.

Guest captain nemo

YES YES. That's what I had in mind. Thanks Dlaing. Good lord, I didn't know this was being done. Maybe I'm not insane. Trouble with that site is I can't see where the prices are for the different parts.

And what about that muffler system? Does anyone know how it sounds or what sort of power it puts out? That would clean up the back end nicely. Where are the prices?

Hell, looks like I needed a Furia all along. :o

I'll have to go back and look at Zeb's bike and see if he has this front end.

Futura

I bought the muffler, loved it, but traded it for a pair of Mistrals.

I traded it because I wanted more peak power, which may have been a mistake, as the bike has lost some character.

The muffler can only be experienced by riding a bike with a muffler that growls under you like it is part of the engine, rather than behind your back.

You can read the thread with HP numbers, etc. here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...c=420&hl=quat-d

I still have to wonder how much life G&B has left(although it looks fine right now :huh2: ) since Ghezzi went to Moto Guzzi to do the MGS-01, and there have been rumours that Brian is going to Lamborghini for their bike project.

As much as you liked the Furia muffler, didn't it give you a lot of trouble by cracking in several places repeatedly?

al

Guest captain nemo

Dlaing, I just read that thread and got Arnold's email. I didn't know you had one of these things. I would really like to know what it's sound is like compared to Mistrals which I have now (and stock crossover). And as Al inquired - were there problems in workmanship?

Has anyone here purchased the fork/front wheel/trick brake combo?

It cracked at the welds where the pipes met the body of the muffler.

I took it to a welder who added additional supports and sealed the cracks, then I sold it, so I may never know if it was a repeating problem.

The welder thought the original welds were done too hot or not hot enough(can't remember).

He charged me $80 for the repair.

I think with the better welds and added brackets it should hold it fine for the current owner.

FWIW my stock crossover also has cracking at the welds, but only on the right side.

Our bikes are murder on crossovers, I guess it is the vibration.

Also, when I had my last rear tire put on, the non guzzi dealer. supported the bike by the muffler, SOBs.

I did not notice the cracking till after that.

Some things that I loved were the sound, the possibility of extra large luggage, the fact that if I crashed, the muffler would not likely be damaged, and the way it moved the center of gravity down and forward.

I did not like the cracking, nor the limitation to peak power.

FWIW, I still saw over 130MPH Veglia mph and it had a lot more midrange than stock.

The $800 price is a little high....the price may be higher now...

If I went that route again, I would offer $1000 to someone who could cut bend and weld together the same concept, but with higher flow and less crossover action, ie more of a two into two than a two into one.

Here is a picture of the welding

qdwelded.jpg

'll have to go back and look at Zeb's bike and see if he has this front end.

i have replace Paioli by an Ohlins superbike and the Paioli found a new v11 home. :bike:

jmmeuok.jpg

jmmeulato.jpg

Guest captain nemo

This forum is great! David - I liked your 'movie'. Ya know, one of the things I DON'T like about the muffler is that it is two in and ONE out. This would make it impossible to test emissions for fuel mixture in the heads etc. It is also $1000 bucks now. I WONDER IF ANYONE HERE WOULD LIKE TO WELD A PROTOTYPE FOR ME?? I also like the idea of covering it in ceramic. Cool. This would be a very cool project to try if I could weld. I'm no engineer, but I'm impressed with many who come to this site. Anyone out there want to make a cool similar muffler for me for $800 bucks - or maybe $600 and my Mistrals? I would check it out and if it worked, it would sell well here on the forum.

Paul - thanks for that info on ebay. I've never used ebay and I'm afraid of it. But I swear I'm going to have these brakes some day.

Hey Zeb - is that you with your bike? Damn, that Guzzi is perfect! I'd love to hear it and take it for a spin. Wow.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Is it a $1000 now?

I really should not have traded it!

Anyway, if you want to probe the emissions on each cylinder there are tapped inlets in each header for that, which give better readings than probing the mufflers.

A dual outlet would have made me happier with the product.

There is some guy who posted on the list that he is a machinist and can make just about anything. One off mufflers, however requires someone with the right tools.