Exhaust wrap

Gio

Seasonal greetings fellow forum folks ...

I was thinking of wrapping exhaust headers over the winter (primarily cosmetic reasons) in addition to some routine service work. I tried doing a search to no avail (seem to get the same 200 results no matter what the search topic is ..?)

Can anyone confirm the length of say 2" wrap required for each header - I'm planning to wrap to the collector connectors (which is a length of approx 24" per side) and calculate just under 7.5 feet per side assuming a 25% over-lap ... ie a 15' roll should be enough.

Anyone?

Heres a picture of a friends V11 with wrap

V11 Wrapped.jpg

Personally I prefer mine naked

Hmmm ... that looks half-wrapped somehow (maybe just the angle of the shot) maybe wrapping all the way to the collector (and even from the collector to the can) may look better ..?

Also - according to DEI website (makers of Titanium wrap with LR) it should take 38" of 2" wrap per foot for a 1.75" header ... so I think my calculations are about right.

I have been using header wrap on mine for the last eight years or so. I have had to re-wrap it once in that time, but otherwise it holds up fine. I wouldn't use the 2-inch, though...the bend on the header pipes is pretty tight, and the thinner 1" forms to the curve a lot easier. I also used a high-temp epoxy to seal the cut ends so as to prevent fraying.

I have been using header wrap on mine for the last eight years or so. I have had to re-wrap it once in that time, but otherwise it holds up fine. I wouldn't use the 2-inch, though...the bend on the header pipes is pretty tight, and the thinner 1" forms to the curve a lot easier. I also used a high-temp epoxy to seal the cut ends so as to prevent fraying.

Does the wrap hold in moisture? I was wondering if the pipes show corrosion....

If it does, it certainly doesn't seem to have caused any damage. But I'm fortunate to have a garage to keep the bike in, so the only time it sees rain is while riding, where the heat keeps it dry anyway. Last time I wrapped them (about a year ago I guess) I noticed no damage or corrosion. They're stainless anyway, so I wouldn't expect them to.

What does the wrap do?

Purpose of insulating wrap on the headers is to keep the exhaust gases hot & moving [hotter = less dense = higher velocity] so the exhaust system works more effectively. Completely pointless with the overly restrictive stock mufflers [which are quite alarmingly bad from the performance standpoint, but quite efficient at strangling, er, "quieting" the beast... ;) ]

Wrapping the headers can be done in situ, but the modern approach is to remove the exhaust & have headers ceramic coated, as it is a more permanent solution & lengthens the lifespan of the equipment vs. the more common experience of header wrapping leading to early failure from entrapped moisture accelerating corrosion f/x... :nerd:

Thanks for the info. Doubt I'll do it on mine, but it's nice to know!

If it does, it certainly doesn't seem to have caused any damage. But I'm fortunate to have a garage to keep the bike in, so the only time it sees rain is while riding, where the heat keeps it dry anyway. Last time I wrapped them (about a year ago I guess) I noticed no damage or corrosion. They're stainless anyway, so I wouldn't expect them to.

If you have stainless exhaust pipes, which modern Guzzi's do, then wrapping them should not cause any issues with corrosion or heat damage. Mild steel exhaust pipes will get destroyed if you wrap them, but stainless is generally fine.

While the science of keeping the heat in the exhaust gases to improve performance is sound, as mentioned there is not likely to be any performance advantage to wrapping the pipes on a Guzzi. It becomes a style/personal taste thing. As long as you have stainless pipes you should not suffer any damage from doing the wrapping and there are a few people who have wrapped the pipes on their Guzzi's to prove that. But I don't think anyone here has any illusions about power gains from the practice. It will help prevent you from burning yourself on the exhaust pipes, but that is about the only "advantage" other then the look.

If you have stainless exhaust pipes, which modern Guzzi's do, then wrapping them should not cause any issues with corrosion or heat damage. Mild steel exhaust pipes will get destroyed if you wrap them, but stainless is generally fine.

While the science of keeping the heat in the exhaust gases to improve performance is sound, as mentioned there is not likely to be any performance advantage to wrapping the pipes on a Guzzi. It becomes a style/personal taste thing. As long as you have stainless pipes you should not suffer any damage from doing the wrapping and there are a few people who have wrapped the pipes on their Guzzi's to prove that. But I don't think anyone here has any illusions about power gains from the practice. It will help prevent you from burning yourself on the exhaust pipes, but that is about the only "advantage" other then the look.

Thanks for all the feedback. Regarding the question of 1" vs 2" - I had planned to use DEI's Titanium with LR product which is claimed to offer the advantage of additional flexibility over "regular" wrap (eg no need to dampen prior to installation) and avoids the use of high-temp sealant also, but agree that 1" should allow a tighter wrap ...

And yes - no illusions regarding any potential performance gain, primarily a cosmetic exercise as stock headers are showing their age with some stains/discolouration. I'll post some pics if I decide to go ahead with the project.

Something people may have overlooked is that wrapping the headers also makes life hard on the mufflers as it puts a LOT more heat into them.Probably not an issue with general road riding with Ti or alloy cans but if you have carbon skin cans then I'd recommend you stay away from the wrap.

Wrapping the headers on a Ducati 996 superbike a friend used to race back in the 90's saw the carbon cans last about 10 laps before failing in spectacular fashion. Didn't just happen once and they were new cans.

All that insulated heat has to now go out the mufflers and at the very least even on a road bike it will make life a lot harder on the carbon skins and glass packing if thats what you have.

The other factor is that the Guzzi is an air cooled engine and in most cases needs all the cooling help it can get.Why would you add to the impost on its marginal ability to cool by wrapping the headers with no real benefit to performance? Add to that the fact that it will eventually look tatty and require replacement and it starts to look more like the "i'm bored and need a cheap project" thing to me,or a conversation starter at the pub.

Ciao

Something people may have overlooked is that wrapping the headers also makes life hard on the mufflers as it puts a LOT more heat into them.Probably not an issue with general road riding with Ti or alloy cans but if you have carbon skin cans then I'd recommend you stay away from the wrap.

Wrapping the headers on a Ducati 996 superbike a friend used to race back in the 90's saw the carbon cans last about 10 laps before failing in spectacular fashion. Didn't just happen once and they were new cans.

All that insulated heat has to now go out the mufflers and at the very least even on a road bike it will make life a lot harder on the carbon skins and glass packing if thats what you have.

The other factor is that the Guzzi is an air cooled engine and in most cases needs all the cooling help it can get.Why would you add to the impost on its marginal ability to cool by wrapping the headers with no real benefit to performance? Add to that the fact that it will eventually look tatty and require replacement and it starts to look more like the "i'm bored and need a cheap project" thing to me,or a conversation starter at the pub.

Ciao

Interesting addition to the topic Phil. I can't afford carbon cans ... but do like a good conversation in the pub ...

Cheers - I guess it's already 2012 down-under!

Gio

Ciao

Interesting addition to the topic Phil. I can't afford carbon cans ... but do like a good conversation in the pub ...

Cheers - I guess it's already 2012 down-under!

Gio

I have carbon FBF cans, and in 8 years have noticed no issues on my bike with header wrap. I like the way it looks, and it keeps my little hands from getting burnt. And my headers looked like crap, which was why I did it in the first place. Doesn't seem to make a bit of difference in how it runs at all. And it so far has held up fine for the cost and effort involved (low and very little), needing replacement only once about a year ago. So, from my experience on my bike the wrap just looks cool and hasn't hurt, or helped, any other part of the machine in the process.

I have carbon FBF cans, and in 8 years have noticed no issues on my bike with header wrap. I like the way it looks, and it keeps my little hands from getting burnt. And my headers looked like crap, which was why I did it in the first place. Doesn't seem to make a bit of difference in how it runs at all. And it so far has held up fine for the cost and effort involved (low and very little), needing replacement only once about a year ago. So, from my experience on my bike the wrap just looks cool and hasn't hurt, or helped, any other part of the machine in the process.

Cool (..!) I'm thinking that perhaps the likes of a 996 , despite being liquid-cooled, must pump a lot more heat down the tubes than our geese ever could ... glad to hear that you have had no issues then.

Gio