Fuel Tank Paint Bubbling

Dr Gil

The champagne colored paint on my '02 LeMans is bubbling and lifting something awful. I was told by my mechanic that it was caused by fuel seeping through the plastic tank and that other bikes (Ducati's) have similar problems. He doubts that it can be stripped and repainted because the tank is now gas soaked and the same problem will quickly reoccur. Has anyone else had this problem with the LeMans tanks? Is there a fix? Replacing the tank with new will be prohibitively expensive and used replacements seem hard to come by.

The champagne colored paint on my '02 LeMans is bubbling and lifting something awful. I was told by my mechanic that it was caused by fuel seeping through the plastic tank and that other bikes (Ducati's) have similar problems. He doubts that it can be stripped and repainted because the tank is now gas soaked and the same problem will quickly reoccur. Has anyone else had this problem with the LeMans tanks? Is there a fix? Replacing the tank with new will be prohibitively expensive and used replacements seem hard to come by.

dr gil, i noticed a tiny bubble in paint(1/8") about a year or so on my '02 LeMans. hasn't gotten any bigger. am i imagining a problem? i hope so.

i think we've all heard about this problem, even swelling where the forktubes actually hit the tank on fork turn lock. i've read a lot about it on this site, you'll have to poke around, it sometimes takes me a while to find a topic, i'm not too adept at it.

i don't know how common this problem is, as you tend to hear from folks with a problem, not folks without a problem.

good luck, stef

My problem is solved but I still have no clue about the cause(s). Bill Basset (thank you Bill) here on the forum has a used, champagne tank for sale and I'm purchasing it. First order of business with the new/used tank is to coat the inside with Kreem or some other fuel tank liner in hopes that it prevents future problems.

Interesting. I had paint bubbling on my 02 tank. I put it down to water getting under the paint/lacquer. I didn't think about fuel seepage as a cause, but that could have been the problem.

Sheesh – those 02s!

My problem is solved but I still have no clue about the cause(s). Bill Basset (thank you Bill) here on the forum has a used, champagne tank for sale and I'm purchasing it. First order of business with the new/used tank is to coat the inside with Kreem or some other fuel tank liner in hopes that it prevents future problems.

What I've read is that the tank material does not allow for Kreem coating to adhere properly.

Even filling the tank with bolts and shaking it to score the surface may not be enough to get the coating to bind.

Others may have a method garanteed to work, but you need to look into this before you coat it.

This is a very common problem with many Ducati's, especially the sport classics and monsters. I had a GT 1000 on which the tank expanded and had to be replaced under warranty. Soon after, it happened again. It's caused by the ethanol in our fuel. In order to fix the problem, many have coated their new tanks with Caswell before installing them. Another good idea is to use an additive, e.g. StarTron, as that seems to neutralize the ethanol effects. Not only are the tanks being damaged, but also the fuel lines are getting gummed up by the ethanol. Since using StarTron in my tanks I haven't seen the problems.

It is unlikely the lifting paint is caused by fuel actually coming through the tank, more probable is the effect of the fuel (expansion/contraction) on the tank material. Maybe the PO may spilled something onto the tank or improper preparation of the surface of the tank prior to painting at the factory. (Shooting darts from a distance here). I would confer with a plastics guru on what to put into the tank prior to lining it. Doesnt make sense to me to just add liner without etching the surface. Paint codes may be available, personally I see modern Toyotas or Hondas(forget which)driving about with a very close match to the Guzzi Champagne, real close. My fairing has lost some paint due to birds entrails and I think when I do have it painted I will head down to the Toyota/Honda body shop and have them take a crack at it. :2c: Champagne 02s are the cats ass and well worth the effort.

• 1 month later...

From Wildguzzi:

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=49105.msg792655#msg792655

I just got of the phone with Rhueben at T. Marcus Customs. He explained the whole process he uses and really put my mind at ease about coating my tank.

If anyone else is interested in having your tank coated, and I HIGHLY recommend it give him a call at:

Tony Marcus Customs

818 759 4724

Cost : $250 plus return shipping.

Address:

T Marcus Customs

6909 Formdale Ave Unit A

N Hollywood, CA 91605

Process:

Allow your tank to dry for approx 2 months to shrink to standard size.

1. Ship him your tank from ups or fedex with the pumps and gaskets removed.

Be sure to wrap your tank in bubble wrap. Ensure there is a 2 inch gap between the tank and the side of the box.

2. puts your tank on a machine that cleans the inside for 4 hours. This is 90% of the process. It preps the inside of the tank for the epoxy.

3. coats the tank and cures the epoxy in an oven.

4. 7 - 10 day turn around.