Cylinder compression check

Gio

I have used a tester similar to the one Chuck presents here, with good results. And it's easy to use: connect it, find the TDC (compression stroke), gear in, press the brake pedal (otherwise the piston will be blowed down...), apply air pressure, read the gauge and listen for leakage.

The good thing -as Chuck explains- is that it tells you in an easy way where the eventual leakage is. If there is no leakage on either of the cylinders, I don't really see the need for a compression tester...

Of course you would need a compressor in addition to the tester, but that's almost a must even for a hobby mechanic anyway, isn't it...?

If you have it *exactly* on TDC, it won't blow the piston down.

• 2 weeks later...

From where do you get the 80 psi if you don't have a compressor at hand?

I've got a $5 [on sale, w/ a coupon] tire compressor that will do 80+ psi that plugs into the cigarette lighter in a car. Yeah, it'll take all day to get there, but if you needed to, it is possible.

A compact "pancake" compressor can be had here for

Shop-air is right up there with sliced bread for "best things ever invented." If you don't have one, get a little compressor right away, you'll be glad you did. :luigi:

:thumbsup:

... Shop-air is right up there with sliced bread for "best things ever invented." If you don't have one, get a little compressor right away, you'll be glad you did. ...

It's on my list ever since I came in contact with it for the first time. My problem is that most of the things a small compressor can do could be done with a pump or other simple 'blowers'. For all the rest like 'real' varnishing, sandblasting, cutting or grinding tools etc such a cheapo is just lost money. And the bigger ones not only are expensive but equaly big also, both things a nono when not used on a regular basis.

Hubert

I bought a 200psi 2gallon compressor (Dewalt) here in the US for $300US. While the capcaity is small the higher pressure lets me do what I need for a longer time before the compressor kicks back on. I also have a a 50 gallon that can reach 120psi. It can be great until the pressure drops, then it takes FOREVER to build back up. The high pressure small tank is convient, quick, and provides enough air for most of my needs. (Paint work I still like the large tank)

Small pancake compressors (oiless are the worst, and cheapest) are good for occasional air guns (like a blast or two) and tire fills. Everything else just fills a tire, or sits in the wifes trunk (boot).