gaskets

luther61

Room Temperature Vulcanizing sealer ...............Hylomar would be my choice of gasket sealant....

And who'd've thought - for once, it's something available in the UK too. :)

Thanks - very handy info indeed.

Room Temperature Vulcanizing sealer ...............Hylomar would be my choice of gasket sealant....

I've used Hylomar myself, but always been reluctant to put too much on. Anyone know what happens to excess Hylomar getting into the sump. Does it dissolve, -or wander into all the precious oil tunnels... :wacko:

I've used Hylomar myself, but always been reluctant to put too much on. Anyone know what happens to excess Hylomar getting into the sump. Does it dissolve, -or wander into all the precious oil tunnels... :wacko:

Hylomar is not oil soluble, so it doesn't dissolve. However, it is also non-hardening, so if you only have a little squish out, then it shouldn't clog anything. I love the stuff- best sealant I've used for many applications. Just use a very thin film.

My brother favored some teflon gasket sealant some 20 years ago. He rebuilt a toyota engine, using teflon sealant liberally on various gaskets. 1000 miles later (1600 km) he rebuilt the motor again because teflon bits got stuck in the head's oil galleys. Oops.

People use too much sealers when applying to mating surfaces........ Use just enough to where it seeps out the sides (edges) of the mating surfaces.