Side Stand Electrical Switch...WTF?

2003v11

I do believe the neutral switch can be changed without removing the side plate of the gearbox, only the starter.

Again, some have found joy cleaning them with a solvent while working the switch in and out and, also, changing gear oils (to Redline as I recall.)

Otherwise, fitting a new neutral switch is no big deal and pretty common. Make sure the middle relay or its contacts aren't also dodgy.

+1 on keeping the sidestand switch. Cleaning it with some contact cleaner while working it in and out and forcing a bit of dielectric grease around the actuator keeps them reliable. Make sure the adjustable bolt that presses the actuator comes in good contact and is not bent.

I do believe the neutral switch can be changed without removing the side plate of the gearbox, only the starter.

Again, some have found joy cleaning them with a solvent while working the switch in and out and, also, changing gear oils (to Redline as I recall.)

Otherwise, fitting a new neutral switch is no big deal and pretty common. Make sure the middle relay or its contacts aren't also dodgy.

+1 on keeping the sidestand switch. Cleaning it with some contact cleaner while working it in and out and forcing a bit of dielectric grease around the actuator keeps them reliable. Make sure the adjustable bolt that presses the actuator comes in good contact and is not bent.

I actually removed mine last night without removing the starter. I just didn't have any replacement gear lube so I screwed it back in. I have a new switch on order and I'll change out the lube to Redline Shockproof when it gets here.

So today I took the switch out and drained the gearbox. I cleaned the switch with some WD40 and worked it back and forth. Still didn't work. Reassembled everything and filled the box with Redline Shockproof. Went for a 30 mile ride and when I got home and put the bike in neutral the light came on. Go figure... :huh2:

I have a new switch on order but if this keeps working I'll save the switch as a back-up.