v11 wont start

paul o

HI,LOOKING FOR ADVICE PLEASE,2001 ROSSA MONDELLO,BIKE DIFFICULT TO START LATELY,TOOK ABOUT 5MIN TO START YESTERDAY,GOT GOING ,DROVE FOR 15MINS PULLED INTO GET PETROL BIKE WAS ONLY OFF FOR 5 MIN ,GOT BACK ON BIKE AND WOULD NOT START,LEFT TO COOL DOWN STILL NO JOY AND NO JOY TODAY EITHER ,HAD THE TANK OFF TO RERUN CABLES WHEN FITTING RISERS AND HANDLE BARS ,WONDERING IF I CONNECTED SOMETHING BACK WRONG?? ALSO I DONT HEAR BIKE PRIMING WHEN I TURN THE IGNITION ON,ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED AS NO GUZZI DEALERS IN IRELAND ,THANKS ,SORRY FOR GOT TO SAY THAT BIKE TURNS OVER ,JUST WONT FIRE UP ,LIKE A FUEL ISSUE,

Check the bullet connectors left side of the spine. They aren't reliable even when fresh from the factory. Now as you had them apart, maybe, or possibly have them under tension they were the first thing I'd look after. Does the starter respond to the button?

Hubert

Check the bullet connectors left side of the spine. They aren't reliable even when fresh from the factory. Now as you had them apart, maybe, or possibly have them under tension they were the first thing I'd look after. Does the starter respond to the button?

Hubert

yes starter working,engine turning over strong just wont start up bike,ill take tank off in morning and check connecters,last time i had tank off ,there was one pipe underneat but two places on tank to fit it to,might i have put to wrong one,sorry not explained great but do you know what i mean ,thanks

Two nippels there, one is for ventilation, the other one is the drain for spilled fuel or rain. The hose should be on the overflow, but it doesn't affect starting the engine.

Another idea: Have you disconnected the head temp sensor line? The head temperature sensor is the blue thing sticking out of the right head. Follow its cable and look whether it has an open end. The other sensor is the air temperature sensor, mounted to the front side of the airbox. Check this cable also.

Anyway, as long as you don't hear the pump priming when you turn the ignition on that's all useless. Easiest thing would be an engaged kill switch, it's something what does happen (don't know actually whether it kills the starter, too). Or a blown fuse. Then you can still swap the relais, those which are swappable (one has more contacts than the others - don't missmatch them).

Hubert

I'm sure the Rosso is very similar to the V11 Sport.

It sounds as though the ECU relay is not picking up as it should

First relay 4 picks up, that triggers the ECU which picks up Relay 5 to prime the pump.

If you pull both relays 4 and 5

With the key on you should see Voltage at Fuse 8 (if you have electric petcock) and Test point "f"

Turn key off, insert relay 4. key on

Now you should see Voltage at Test point"g"

Turn key off, insert relay 5, key on you should now hear the pump for a couple of seconds.

If none of the above

The kill switch and start button plug into the loom -

Guzzi Wiring - Simple.pdf

Test Point Layout.pdf Your relay and fuse layout might be different but I suspect the're very similar

Relay bases can develop a high resistance sometimes, loose contacts, corrosion.

Relay Base Repair.pdf

I will send you a PM