What is that noise ?

GraeV11

OK, stupid question as there is no way you can properly answer without hearing it, but my v11 has a new noise; very high-pitched whine when in motion (which I can clearly hear above all the other lovely noises). It is not the engine (well at least not when the bike is standing still), the disks are not hot so fairly sure pads are not binding, all fluid levels are OK, I do not have a new crash helmet or anything that might change how the bike might sound to me and performance is as good as it has ever been. Should I just dust off the grease gun or go get my hearing checked ? The bike was laid up for a couple of months whilst I had some medical issues sorted and I had not heard it before then. Driving me nuts now. If anything it sounds electrical. Just might have to tackle those damn screws on the alternator cover and take a peek. Any suggestions ?

I cannot offer much, but one thing to check is whether the noise there all the time in motion, e.g. does it make noise when the clutch is disengaged at speed, does it go up and down in intensity with engine rpm's or it is steady according to kph. This will help to see if it is the running gear/tranny.

I cannot offer much, but one thing to check is whether the noise there all the time in motion, e.g. does it make noise when the clutch is disengaged at speed, does it go up and down in intensity with engine rpm's or it is steady according to kph. This will help to see if it is the running gear/tranny.

Thanks. Will experiment tomorrow and report back.

OK, stupid question as there is no way you can properly answer without hearing it, but my v11 has a new noise; very high-pitched whine when in motion (which I can clearly hear above all the other lovely noises). It is not the engine (well at least not when the bike is standing still), the disks are not hot so fairly sure pads are not binding, all fluid levels are OK, I do not have a new crash helmet or anything that might change how the bike might sound to me and performance is as good as it has ever been. Should I just dust off the grease gun or go get my hearing checked ? The bike was laid up for a couple of months whilst I had some medical issues sorted and I had not heard it before then. Driving me nuts now. If anything it sounds electrical. Just might have to tackle those damn screws on the alternator cover and take a peek. Any suggestions ?

Skip the bit about the alternator. It is late over here. Having bad thoughts about bearings now. Sleep will not come easy tonight.

Skip the bit about the alternator. It is late over here. Having bad thoughts about bearings now. Sleep will not come easy tonight.

OK, noise does not increase in intensity or pitch when accelerating, or when clutch is engaged or disengaged. Does seem louder when braking heavily on the rear brake. Disk does look a little scored. Pads have plenty of life. Going to pull them tomorrow. Maybe a bit of grit is the culprit. Here's hoping.

I never ever use the rear brake and it is common for the brake to "moan" on these bikes - often at low speeds when turning or with a passenger. I just ignore it, and never use the brake as it is not up to the job.

I never ever use the rear brake and it is common for the brake to "moan" on these bikes - often at low speeds when turning or with a passenger. I just ignore it, and never use the brake as it is not up to the job.

Well it is not the rear brake as far as I can tell. Going to spend Easter investigating. I gain some comfort that nobody has added a comment here that they had a smiliar noise before some catastrophic failure <_>

I do use the rear brake quite frequently as I have locked the front too many times when used in isolation. I got bored with carrying a change of underwear.

Well it is not the rear brake as far as I can tell. Going to spend Easter investigating. I gain some comfort that nobody has added a comment here that they had a smiliar noise before some catastrophic failure <_>

I do use the rear brake quite frequently as I have locked the front too many times when used in isolation. I got bored with carrying a change of underwear.

I too had a strange buzzing at certain RPMs and when braking. Turns out it was one of the front brake caliper cover that fit on the slide pins vibrating. A gentle little tweek of the tabs put and end to it.

I too had a strange buzzing at certain RPMs and when braking. Turns out it was one of the front brake caliper cover that fit on the slide pins vibrating. A gentle little tweek of the tabs put and end to it.

Noisy Fuel Pump? They can make a high pitched whine especially if the fuel filter needs changing.

Darryl

Noisy Fuel Pump? They can make a high pitched whine especially if the fuel filter needs changing.

Darryl

Ah, fuel filter, never touched that before. Guess I should have a peek. :whistle: Thanks.

w

Will check it out thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Darryl

Ah, fuel filter, never touched that before. Guess I should have a peek. :whistle: Thanks.

Yep - as I have said before, it's amazing how much crap that fuel filter catches ... just try a quick back-flush and it will open your eyes ... best of luck with the quest for strange noises ...

Gio