Pondering the V11

cola

'Why do you ride that old tractor?' My friends ask. 'You could have a modern bike for the money'.

Well I have to say that although it's slow I don't get overtaken and I don't hold anyone up.

I know it's un-reliable but it's never let me down, sometimes I just need to drop by old friends for a tea and a gearbox fix.

I understand the ergonomics are all wrong but I still look forward to getting on it after 200 miles.

I know they're unpopular but I always get company when I stop.

The loud exhausts are anti-social, but everyone seems to like the noise.

They call me contrary and I couldn't agree more.

:helmet:

• Like 1

Nicely put! The V11 is an enigma and I'm your archetypal power ranger sportsbike nut - I've become passionate about my V11 more than any other bike I've owned with the possible exception of my first proper bike, my white with blue stripes 250LC.

Pete

Nicely put! The V11 is an enigma and I'm your archetypal power ranger sportsbike nut - I've become passionate about my V11 more than any other bike I've owned with the possible exception of my first proper bike, my white with blue stripes 250LC.

Pete

I had an RD350LC 'Power Valve' many many years ago. Fantastic bike. Nearly killed me. Would love to ride it again.

Pete

I had an RD350LC 'Power Valve' many many years ago. Fantastic bike. Nearly killed me. Would love to ride it again.

as a lad i had an RD350 air cooled with clip-ons & chambers. i know what you mean about nearly killing you. boy would it come on the pipe, better hold on tight :o loved the bike.

yamaha made TONS of 'em, i think most of them were destroyed 'cause everyone learned to roadrace on them back then.

yeah, my V11 gives me kinda the same feeling when i'm riding it, although i'm much more sedate nowdays... ;^)

cheers

I'm addicted to the torque that an air cooled pushrod twin brings to the party. And that "muscle car, soulful" feel and gorgeous exhaust note. I have found my Nero to be a perfect fit for me and a very reliable ride. It spins faster than the Harley V twin due to the relative squareness of the motor, the more balanced 90 degree layout as opposed to the 45 degree V and the motor being "sideways" in the frame instead of in line with it means just enough vibes, instead of vibes pulsing up and down the frame. Those factors mean I can access that power lower in the rev range with fewer gear changes, unlike the water cooled fours that need you to keep the revs at the top end to access it's best range of power, requiring much more shifting. Throw in the Ohlins suspension and I find it to be a perfect commuter, and sporting ride in one. I love the fact that you will be the only one at a bike run, exclusivity has its rewards for the rider who appreciates that which others shun...and it's about the most beautiful piece of kinetic art ever produced, in my eyes :notworthy::mg::wub:

the wall2.JPG

They call me contrary and I couldn't agree more.

:rasta::thumbsup: Since I discovered them (Centauro was the first of several) I've never had anything else. Don't expect to, either..

Man... If anyone needs to ask why ya like a Guzzi then, well thay wont understand even if ya tell them.

Yeah all the above, and I tell ya what on paper 82hp aint much at the rear wheel but there aint much that gets past me in the hills if anything LOL.

As for you guys woffling on about RD's I have two a race only 350 worked and in Jap colours and a road going black 250 stock that the missus races... yep awesome bikes, over here the YPVS bikes were called RZ and IMO even tho way more powerfull they aint the same fun to ride.

xx.jpg

xxx.JPG

Man... If anyone needs to ask why ya like a Guzzi then, well thay wont understand even if ya tell them.

Yeah all the above, and I tell ya what on paper 82hp aint much at the rear wheel but there aint much that gets past me in the hills if anything LOL.

As for you guys woffling on about RD's I have two a race only 350 worked and in Jap colours and a road going black 250 stock that the missus races... yep awesome bikes, over here the YPVS bikes were called RZ and IMO even tho way more powerfull they aint the same fun to ride.

Nice. Very jealous. I am off to Ebay. I wonder if it would still be so fast now I am 4 stone heavier ??

My brother had an RD500 V4. That was just plain silly. I think there are still fragments of it at the bottom of Paddock Hill, Brands Hatch.

I get looks, smiles, and thumbs up every where I go on my Coppa Italia. :thumbsup:

It's definitely a keeper. Made a mistake selling my Rosso Corsa . . . won't make that mistake again. :oldgit:

Ponder the V11 - yes. Just don't pander!

I sent a picture of my Rosso Mandello to a friend of my sisters who does not know anything about bikes and she thought it was sexy - no interest in bikes at all and that is her comment! That is one of the 1217 reasons why I love my Guzzi!

Made a mistake selling my Rosso Corsa . . . won't make that mistake again. :oldgit:

Did you have a bike inbetween? I sold a 1100i sport and had a VTR1000 for two years, spent heaps on it changing it around, brought the nero and it came to me that no mater what I did to the VTR it wouldnt be a Guzzi.

• 3 weeks later...

We just had the first sunny Sunday of spring (well the first one I could dedicate to riding :) ) here in Scotland. Average riding speed 50 mph, average fuel use 50 mpg, average smiles 50 - on a scale of 1 to 50, average scares 0, average number of Guzzi's - 1 (I was sitting on it).

No pics as I was too busy riding - but here's some idea ...

Sma' Glen

... only with less traffic.

And my pal with the BMW - not out due to maintenance problems (rear wheel stuck half on, half off, front wheel ABS sensor worn away due to wheel replacement issues).