Confirming TDC with new flywheel installed

mznyc

Hi mznyc,

Sorry for delay in replying - summer suddenly arrived so went camping. As several folk have posted anything that fits the thread would do. With the old 1970's two strokes we used a Dial Test Indicator screwed into the plughole to set the ignition timing as most had spark plugs in the middle of the head. You could either find TDC by rocking a measured distance either side of TDC and making two marks on the flywheel and again halving it or if you were lucky the manuacturer gave timing in both degrees advance and piston distance from TDC.

Perhaps an aside, I have just made a Cliff Jefferies MyEcu kit (second attempt!) and having great fun starting the tuning process, it is already crisper than the OEM ECU although a bit hesistant at low throttle openings. Even us older buzzards try and keep up with the times.

Thanks for the response,think I got it.I go to Scotland often enough to know when it's warm and sunny you have to take advantage of it. :sun:

I remember we used to have a threaded "piston stop" (anodized alloy--very nicely made) for our RC race trucks--do they make something similar for "real" vehicles?

And I use a number 2 pencil when doing the valves on my airhead BMW's--I supposed that should work fine for the Guzzi as well... :thumbsup:

I remember we used to have a threaded "piston stop" (anodized alloy--very nicely made) for our RC race trucks--do they make something similar for "real" vehicles?

And I use a number 2 pencil when doing the valves on my airhead BMW's--I supposed that should work fine for the Guzzi as well... :thumbsup:

Might need a number 3 for the Guzzi....depends on the thickness of the eraser, I suppose.