Causes of problems with the clutch? Dragging.

Hansson

Have run without problems for about 1000 kilometer with my V11 -04 but now it's maybe an indication of what it, for example,means that staying in Guzzi Swamp;)

The clutch will work but it does not disengage completely. It works so much that it is not noticeable ( the fault) when shifting while driving. It is, however, trouble getting out of number one's gear when the bike is stationary with the engine running. It is right on the edge that it would drive (and make it a little sometime) whith released clutch, detached in gear, when stationary. When I search pull mode, it hack / grab a little. The bike has rolled around 16000 kilometers. Have my thoughts on the cause ..

Does anyone have experience with similar problems and want to share the experience with me here? I'm not interested in guesses but qualified theories are ok. I want tips on causes before I start tearing apart the bike.

Cheers

Jörgen, Sweden

Hi Jorgen

Assuming your sayin 16 thousand killometers ,that would be premature for the clutch plates to be worn,but possible.There are 2 seals that prevent fluid from gettin into the clutch housing which should always be dry.You can easily check by looking through the fly wheel hole to see if theres any fluid visible.if you dont see fluid doesnt prove there isnt any in there but if you do see some then you know you have a blown seal. Unlikely this is the problem.

The pawl arm and spring in the transmission pre-selector housing could be worn which would cause the symptoms you are describing.Common problm.Only way to know is pulling the cover.Not a big job.Drain fluid,pull starter,free shock remote,gear linkage,then cover.

Others should chime in other theories but I have seen this failure on the forum dozens of times.My bike had this problem and was repaired and am currently replacing the clutch.

Do you have a factory manual?

Michael

Hi Michael

Thanks for your reply. :)

I checked the fly wheel hole but it is completely dry inside. The liquid level in the reservoir has never been lower so there should be no leakage. I wonder how it could be that the bike behaves so that it is impossible to disengage the clutch fully (dragging) because of broken pawl spring? I find it easier to understand that gear switch, or the possibility to engage neutral, is malfunctioning when the return (pawl) spring is dying.

Did your bike hade problem with dragging, or do you mean broken pawl spring, when replacing the clutch?

I have the factory V11 Sport workshop manual.

Jörgen

Is clutch fluid clean & with no air in it?

Any sign of oil around bottom of bellhousing? By fluid Michael means oil I think rather than hydraulic fluid; engine oil getting past crankshaft seal, or gearbox oil getting past gearbox input shaft seal.

Clutch activating mechanism? Check clutch slave cylinder (on back of gearbox)is tight up to the case - mine came loose. There's a thrust bearing between slave cylinder & pushrod - check that's OK, & the washers & plate that act on pushrod. Wear or failure on any part here could cause these symptoms I think.

Wear on splines on various parts of clutch assembly can cause clutch to snag up. Is action still progressive or is it snatchy?

KB :sun:

Hi KB

Thanks for your reply!

I think that the fluid is never changed. I will replace clutch fluid to see what happens. There are no signs of leaks. Everything is dry. If it comes in oil into the clutch housing and on the clutch plates, would it not cause the clutch to slip then? Clutch slave cylinder is tight up to the case. The action is a little bit snatchy. I am almost looking forward to disassemble the gearbox and clutch to see how things are with the stuff. Only joking.. :P Drive season've just started here in Sweden so the problem is badly timed. But after I changed the fluid and it turns out that it has not helped, I must get down to tear the gearbox.

Cheers Jörgen

My clutch had a very slight drag once and it had turned out that there was a tiny amount of air in the line. Flush your system thoroughly and bleed it until the clutch lever is stiff to pull. When you can roll the bike with the lever pulled in you should not be able to hear any dragging noise at all.