V11 Fuel Consumption

Draven999

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi - I ride mostly in city traffic and get ~26 mpg which I believe converts to ~11.05km/L. If I have a mix of use I typically get 32 mpg which is slightly better than what you are experiencing.

Bob

Sorry, i'm italian and i've forgotten that you british guys use your strange measurements units! :)

So, 13km/l is ~ 31 mpg

I'd think of 15 km/l as still acceptable, rather bad nonetheless. I've heard of others making up to 22km out of one liter. My own makes 17 (KR 2000).

While you talk about strange units: multiply the above values by 2.35 to get US numbers (MPG). For "Imperial" numbers the factor is 2.83 :)

Hubert

I will typically get aroung 15 (35-36 mpg). Worse in the cold weather and near 17 (40 mpg) with easy, steady highway.

(Hubert, thanks for conversion factors!)

I can barely manage to get 1L/15-16km if i drive relaxed or highway kilometer doing a steady 130km/h. When i'm of the highway and i can really hit the throttle, i'll do about 1L/13-14km. That's with a totally original V11 Café Sport.

I had to calculate back from chock full to reserve light which I reckon is about 17.5l and I get about 150 miles under mixed motorway (expressway) and back road conditions. This means I get close enough to 13km/l too on a standard V11 Sport.

I get about 35mph but this can drop by a fair amount if I ride it hard. My riding buddies sometimes comment on the smell of petrol fumes as they follow in my wake when we are out for a thrash. Emgine runs sweet with no splutters or flat spots so I will put it down to being inherent to the engine configuration and I am not about to get the spanners out . . . unless you guys think I should ???? :huh2:

I get about 35mph? but this can drop by a fair amount if I ride it hard. My riding buddies sometimes comment on the smell of petrol fumes as they follow in my wake when we are out for a thrash. Emgine runs sweet with no splutters or flat spots so I will put it down to being inherent to the engine configuration and I am not about to get the spanners out . . . unless you guys think I should ???? :huh2:

it sounds rich if they can smell you..

pepe.jpg

Any city riding invalidates mileage measurements so it only makes sense to talk about open road.

Every bike I have had, including my current three Guzzis has bettered 5l/100km or 20km/l at legal cruising speeds. Being a glider pilot and engineer gives me a predisposition to trying to ride efficiently.

If I get anything less I start to troubleshoot.

First check is rolling resistance - ie dragging brakes etc. Tuning would be next.

I get about 35mph? but this can drop by a fair amount if I ride it hard. My riding buddies sometimes comment on the smell of petrol fumes as they follow in my wake when we are out for a thrash. Emgine runs sweet with no splutters or flat spots so I will put it down to being inherent to the engine configuration and I am not about to get the spanners out . . . unless you guys think I should ???? :huh2:

it sounds rich if they can smell you..

pepe.jpg

Ah yes mpg! I wont fire up the 'better rich than lean' debate again. Oops I just have.

• 2 weeks later...

My fuel light came on today at 175 miles. I'm getting around 40MPG.

16,5/l at an indicated speed of 170 to 180 km/h, obviously on the German highway, on the way back from the GMG last september....

And normally my fuel mileage varies between 16/18 km/l. Moslty trips longer then 30 km, mostly (not allways..) temperatures above 10 C, a full standard V11 naked 2002, except for the temp sensor mod..., and well setup...

How you guys manage a high fuel mileage like that makes me wonder; Is it me... or is it you that makes the difference...

Velf2003

16,5/l at an indicated speed of 170 to 180 km/h, obviously on the German highway, on the way back from the GMG last september....

And normally my fuel mileage varies between 16/18 km/l. Moslty trips longer then 30 km, mostly (not allways..) temperatures above 10 C, a full standard V11 naked 2002, except for the temp sensor mod..., and well setup...

How you guys manage a high fuel mileage like that makes me wonder; Is it me... or is it you that makes the difference...

Velf2003

!6-18 (37.6-42.3 US mpg) looks pretty good to me. I think those getting more are very easy on the throttle transitions and minimal shifting.

"Temp sensor mod?" How so?

In my first 250 miles on the Le Mans I've averaged 37.5mpg (about 16km/l). Obviously probably going easier than I eventually will. Very little traffic but also very little highway; mostly 3 -6 gear riding with the emphasis on 4 - 5th gears.

Just wondering: Are the guys experiencing lower fuel consumption on faired bikes? Does a fairing make a measurable difference - or is any aero advantage lost to additional weight?