V11 Fuel Consumption

Draven999

16,5/l at an indicated speed of 170 to 180 km/h, obviously on the German highway, on the way back from the GMG last september....

And normally my fuel mileage varies between 16/18 km/l. Moslty trips longer then 30 km, mostly (not allways..) temperatures above 10 C, a full standard V11 naked 2002, except for the temp sensor mod..., and well setup...

How you guys manage a high fuel mileage like that makes me wonder; Is it me... or is it you that makes the difference...

Velf2003

!6-18 (37.6-42.3 US mpg) looks pretty good to me. I think those getting more are very easy on the throttle transitions and minimal shifting.

"Temp sensor mod?" How so?

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14832&st=15

This is the thread that discusses sense AND nonsense about the temp sensor.

I have made a contribution to the thread aswell. Maybey it`s interesting to read it?If so, please feel free to read it and if you have any questions about my mod, feel free to PM me.

Guzzigreetings,

Velf2003

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16,5/l at an indicated speed of 170 to 180 km/h, obviously on the German highway, on the way back from the GMG last september....

And normally my fuel mileage varies between 16/18 km/l. Moslty trips longer then 30 km, mostly (not allways..) temperatures above 10 C, a full standard V11 naked 2002, except for the temp sensor mod..., and well setup...

How you guys manage a high fuel mileage like that makes me wonder; Is it me... or is it you that makes the difference...

Velf2003

!6-18 (37.6-42.3 US mpg) looks pretty good to me. I think those getting more are very easy on the throttle transitions and minimal shifting.

"Temp sensor mod?" How so?

http://www.v11lemans...pic=14832&st=15

This is the thread that discusses sense AND nonsense about the temp sensor.

I have made a contribution to the thread aswell. Maybey it`s interesting to read it?If so, please feel free to read it and if you have any questions about my mod, feel free to PM me.

Guzzigreetings,

Velf2003

Oh yes, threads I remember too well, but are VERY hard to search and get the technical content.

An attempt was made to reset the technical component here: Engine Temperature Sensor

I am very happy with this modification. Tested extensively, here of late, in the triple digit heat (pushing 40 Celcius).

Any city riding invalidates mileage measurements so it only makes sense to talk about open road.

Every bike I have had, including my current three Guzzis has bettered 5l/100km or 20km/l at legal cruising speeds. Being a glider pilot and engineer gives me a predisposition to trying to ride efficiently.

If I get anything less I start to troubleshoot.

First check is rolling resistance - ie dragging brakes etc. Tuning would be next.

Every one else seems happy to get over 30 to the gallon, Cliff gets 47 :thumbsup:

I have one of his MyECUs and get about 30, I have been too lazy to dial it in.

I hope to have an O2 sensor shortly, even another 10 MPG and it will pay for itself in next to no-time.

Roy

I ride assertively, but certainly like no racer hooligan (though that can be fun too), mostly on secondary roads and get about 32 mpg. I would love to get more. My 2003 monster 800ie would come in at 48 mpg. 32 seems low in my opinion for a midrange tuned V-twin. I do run my tires at 31-front 35-rear because I like the way it turns that way, but I think that would only account for a couple more mpg. Everything is fresh on the bike. One big caveat, I haven't remapped the PC3 yet to go with the new pipes and crossover. The old ones were race pipes and it runs well enough that I can't bring myself to leave it in a shop for a week and lay down the cash. I am a cheap bastard sometimes.

I'm don't spare the horses either, on the pushy side, but my stock V11 Le Mans' mileage in the 37's (the lowest I'd had on anything in years!).

The Michelin 2CT tires are 2-3 lbs under the recommended pressures of 36 and 42, just because it's hot this summer. To each his own, I always say, but recommended pressures are worth trying on today's tires. It's also possible that as I learn the bike I'm a gear high in some situations, although not for long.

When I put a Termi system on my Ducati PS1000LE, the included ECU just dumped fuel through. Mileage dropped 5-6 mpg. I went back to the stock ECU and installed an O2 Manipulator, www.fatduc.com, which sorted everything. The idea comes out of the HD community (!); it's a simple inline rheostat that fibs to the ECU. But you need a Lambda sensor in your system...

Freer flowing exhaust, crossover and air cleaner should lean out the system. But if you're running rich (black plugs/sooty exhaust) it could be you'd benefit from tweaking the PC3.

I'm don't spare the horses either, on the pushy side, but my stock V11 Le Mans' mileage in the 37's (the lowest I'd had on anything in years!).

The Michelin 2CT tires are 2-3 lbs under the recommended pressures of 36 and 42, just because it's hot this summer. To each his own, I always say, but recommended pressures are worth trying on today's tires. It's also possible that as I learn the bike I'm a gear high in some situations, although not for long.

When I put a Termi system on my Ducati PS1000LE, the included ECU just dumped fuel through. Mileage dropped 5-6 mpg. I went back to the stock ECU and installed an O2 Manipulator, www.fatduc.com, which sorted everything. The idea comes out of the HD community (!); it's a simple inline rheostat that fibs to the ECU. But you need a Lambda sensor in your system...

Freer flowing exhaust, crossover and air cleaner should lean out the system. But if you're running rich (black plugs/sooty exhaust) it could be you'd benefit from tweaking the PC3.

Thanks for the info. My plugs did show a little carbon build-up this last change and I do get soot at the exhaust exit. It is sad when the girlfriends car that seats 4 gets better mpg. Thankfully she rides too so no grief is ever given, just a smirk at the pump when I fill up twice as often.

• 1 month later...

The V11 Sport is meant to have a tank size of 24 litres I'v only managed to fit 20 litres when I ran out of petrol. Is tank 24 litres?

Actually, a V11 tank can only hold approximately 21 (20,7) liters of patrol. Anyway so says my ownersmanual of my Café Sport.

But if you have managed to completely driven your tank empty, you must have wobbled alot to get that patrol from one side of tank to the other side of the tank :D .

I've once managed to do the same with my old 1100 Sport :whistle:

• 4 weeks later...

The worst I have got is 28mpg on a track day.

Typical Sunday ripping up B roads I get a little over 40.

Best, I went to my parents 220 miles away with the Mrs on her Nevada ie.

The Mrs likes open sweeping A roads and steady cruising. This return low 50's mpg on the round trip.

I've run maybe 4 or 5 tankfuls and getting about 32 mpg. Maybe a little better than my Suzuki Bandit gets.

I think the gas light comes on about 130 miles. My EV gets about 40 mpg and the gas light come on about 135 miles

40 MPG(UK) = 33.3 MPG(US)

Huh? 5 qts to the Imperial gallon, right? I get 32mpg [ie, multiply the Imp. mileage by .8 -> SAE, or the US mileage by 1.25 -> UK.] What am I doing wrong? :huh:

40 MPG(UK) = 33.3 MPG(US)

Huh? 5 qts to the Imperial gallon, right? I get 32mpg [ie, multiply the Imp. mileage by .8 -> SAE, or the US mileage by 1.25 -> UK.] What am I doing wrong? :huh:

It's six fifths, not five fourths. Common error easily made.

I normally get around 37mpg (44.4) on the V11 Le Mans but on a recent 1,500 mile trip in New England ran around 40mpg (48), with one day peaking at 42.5mpg (51). I normally use 93 octane, but nothing higher than 91 seemed available in New Hampshire and Maine. Didn't hurt mileage but I did notice a smoother running bike when I got back to 93 in MA and CT.