97mm. big bore on a V11?

Mike Stewart

Hi all,

I found this 97mm. large bore/piston kit on ebay and wanted to know if it really would work on a newer V11? Humm, a 1212 motor! :thumbsup: I thought 1100 cc. was the largest one could go without stroking the engine. Any ideas?, the Raceco site has closed down.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=35618

Thanks,

Mike

94mm is the largest reliable bore size according to Mike Rich. 95mm is tolerable, but reliablility suffers some. 97mm is an accident waiting to happen. Not enough area left for the cylinder head gasket to reliably seal, the pushrod to bore metal depth is so thin, the walls tend to crack, the solid copper head gaskets for this large of a bore can yank the studs out of the cylinders, the cases have to be bored (forget Gillardoni, they slide around), pushrod clearance etc. and the list goes on. The 1212 figure applies if you have a stroker crank. I think you can still get stroker cranks from Dynotec in Germany, but RaceCo is out the market and I have the last stroker crank they ever produced with the tapered endpiece for a street bike.

bore (mm)____________90_____94_____95______96_____97

stroke (mm)___________80_____80_____80______80_____80

displacement (cc)____1,017___1,110___1,134___1,158___1,182

bore (mm)____________90_____94______95_____96_____97

stroke (mm)___________82_____82_____82______82_____82

displacement (cc)____1,043___1,138___1,162___1,186___1,211

82mmcrankshaft.gif

This the 82mm stroke crank I've set aside for an 82x94 engine later on.

Hey Mike! I don't know if you caught my post earlier this week about technical get togethers in the S.F. area, but since you're a master mechanic (something I most definitely am not!), perhaps you'd like to "host" one. I have a (nearly) undamaged V11 Sport fork leg from my accident that would be a real good item to use for showing how to change fork fluids. Interested???