V11 Le Mans Leaks Oil, Relays Arc, Bought It Anyway

Bob Hartman

Hey Bob,

I just want to add to the voices that say "Don't get discouraged". I bought my bike in 2007 and it sat in boxes for 4 years. Then it took 6 months to get it back together and it still delivers hours of attention whoring. I love it though! It feels good every time I go for a ride... and I am notorious for moving on to the next shiny project bike. Whatever you do, don't give up. Set it aside for a time if you need, but see it through, it will be worth it.

Best regards,

~Dave

Thanks Andy and Felix,

Sorry, I wasn't clear; a little frustrated rhetoric. I've been working on getting at the blasted breather hose. I just couldn't believe that's where they put it. Looks like they borrowed the Ducati engine accessory design committee for this one.

The hose looks fine at the bottom but now, this deep in, I'll follow through and replace it. The air cleaner looks brand new so that can stay. Yes, the best part of the process has been learning - and cleaning - everything in the middle of the bike. Foaming cleaning spray has been the way to go; wish I'd found it years ago.

Was going to fill up with 20w-50 but given the current blast furnace weather I may go for 10w-60. Didn't I read there was a bulletin out for V11's recommending the latter?

New relays arrived today from Dan. I've tightened the relay block spade connectors from above and will have a snoop around the bottom for ropey grounds or shorts.

Wish I had the time to speed up the process. I'm looking forward to getting this bike out for a good run!

Thanks, Bob

Patience, Grasshopper.. your perseverance will be rewarded many times. :oldgit::race::grin:

Thanks you guys, hope to be back with some good news soon.

In the meantime, the bike is draining engine oil over night so less to deal with when the filter, gasket, etc. arrive from MG Cycle.

Judging from the color of the engine oil, the oil leaking onto the crossover must be from the gearbox :( . It does not leak a drop while at rest, though.

This is the grasshopper part, right?

Bob

Here's how things ended up:

1) Electric snapping noise from relays now gone. I replaced the relays and tightened up suspect contacts on the rearmost relay.

2) Oil leak disappeared after I dropped the pan, changed the oil and filter and put everything back as it should be (along with a helicoil for the magnet plug). Beginning to think the magnet plug already had been compromised. Very relieved it wasn't from the gearbox/engine junction.

Spent lots of time finding out the breather hose was fine but cleaned everything along the way. Learned quite a bit, including about expanding fuel tanks. :nerd:

Now it could use brake pads and tires, but they are less mysterious. Right?

Many thanks to all who pitched in. Great group!

Bob

• 1 month later...

Sounds like you have it under control--and what a beautiful bike!

Thanks! Sorry for the delay. Just got back from a 1,475 mile, six-day camping trip through New England on it. Did 475 miles today from Bar Harbor to home. Didn't skip a beat the whole week. Lovely, lovely bike.

Thanks! Sorry for the delay. Just got back from a 1,475 mile, six-day camping trip through New England on it. Did 475 miles today from Bar Harbor to home. Didn't skip a beat the whole week. Lovely, lovely bike.

Sounds great! More pics???

:grin::thumbsup:

Sounds great! More pics???

Mmmm, see if THIS works.