Seat mod

Guest captain nemo

:bier:

I wasn't going to say this earlier when I first read the thread, but now that Rich has chimed-in, I feel like I should...

I have to say that although the only product I've ever bought from Rich Maund(...you know, *our* Rich ^_^ ) was a tool pouch, and although I've never met him personally... I feel a great deal of loyalty to him for the time and comraderie he has invested in the forum. Plus, according to all of those that do have his seats, I've heard nothing but praise :thumbsup:

Now, I don't mean to disparage this "upstart Rich" :rolleyes: from the West Coast(I'm just picking :lol: ) ... but IMHO, although I really like the seat Nemo had prepared, if it were me, I'd probably just ask Rich Maund to replicate the design if one liked it more, and give him the business, especially since Rich is a small businessman running a shop out of his own home. I suspect Rich could make whatever you liked, within reason, if just given the design.

This is honestly no ding against Nemo.... especially since he is so new to our community, he may not have even been very aware of Rich. But I just wanted to say that considering how often Rich has posted his adverts in the For Sale section trying to drum up business, cutting deals for us, etc.... well, I felt kinda bad for Rich when I knew he'd see this thread.

Anyway, that's just my perspective. (..but hey look at me, the hypocrite. I have a Corbin :P Although to my defense, I bought it before knowing about Rich. I love my seat, but I think I honestly would have bought one of Rich's later if I had been aware.)

Bottom line, I am sure that this WCR(West Coast Rich :P ) does excellent work, and again not to suggest that giving them business is wrong or that for some reason we shouldn't, but OTOH IMHO I do think that ECR(East Coast Rich... did I mention he's *our* Rich? :lol: ) probably should get first consideration considering his contribution to the community. (Wow, that's a lot of "C" words in a row... :blink: )

But again, great looking seat! Let's just not forget our friends, especially in the Christmas season.

I hope this didn't come across wrong.... but it was something that just came to mind.

al

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dkgross

Nemo..pretty sure Jaap's visit isn't for a few months :)

but..I may have a little shindig to celebrate the remodel sometime in Feb or March. I'll keep ya'll posted....Got a doggie recovering from surgery for a few months, so we're keeping it quiet around the house for now.

Guest captain nemo

Al,

You make a very good point. Your thoughts are always very clear and balanced. I don't know what you do for a living, but you are a natural diplomat.

I can only speak for myself in having my seat made here. Like you say, I am fairly new to the forum and have had no contact with WCR. I am also a VERY IMPETUOUS PERSON - a VIP! ha. Seriously, I have little patience. I get something in my mind and want it done TODAY. That's just my nature. Also, my ideas are very peculiar at times and I often have to do a lot of personal, face-to-face explaining to get my point across to someone. Just ask Motomonster - I'm very much out in left field. SO, I thought in this case I needed some personal contact with the dude who was actually going to do EXACTLY what I wanted - by showing him in person.

As another example, I am on my way in the morning to travel to another town to take my crossover to a welder. This will also take a lot of explaining I'm sure when he hears what I want to do. He will probably say, "Why don't you just do it this way like everybody else?" And I will have to say, once again, "I want it my way and this is the way it is going to be."

Just a fluke in my character. After all, I'm Captain Nemo. B)

edit: "and have had no contact with WCR" - I meant to say ECR (East Coast Rich)

I never take offense when someone goes to another shop. If I'm not the right person for the job, I'd rather not take the work anyway. I have sent a number of people to other shops over the years simply because the other shops already specialized in what the customer wanted. I'm not one to re-invent the wheel. It's just business afterall.

I don't know if it's right to start referring to me as "ECR". I do live 20 miles from the actual coast and I know for a fact there are several people named "Rich" who live even closer to the coast than I do. That moniker could be easily disputed in court.

I have had the MD/DC MGNOC Rep. try to hang "Rich the Stitch" on me when he was mad at me for referring to him as "King Bill". :D

I have been referred to as that "Nut case who rides a Ural".

At Rallies I am often referred to as "That seat guy".

In my years in the Navy I was often called things that I can't repeat even in a forum as tolerant as this one!

But as long as folks are still calling me to work for them, I really don't worry about it! And I do appreciate your business folks! Thank you and have a happy holiday!

:bier::bier::xmas:

BTW: Mocked up the new sidecar body in posterboard. Finalized the design and it looks really classic. New bike is due here Friday. New Welding equipment (175 amp MIG with a AR/CO2 rig.) got here Monday evening. Built a nice steel cart for it yesterday and painted that today. Hopefully in a week or so we'll be cutting steel for the new sidecar. Here's hoping y'all are having fun this season too!