Griso 1100 clutch adjustment

DeBenGuzzi

I'd like to bring the clutch engagement in closer to the bar as it's almost entirely out and in traffic it seems a lot harder on the hands, if no adjustments can really be made other than the little adjuster on the lever I'll just deal with it.

I'd like to bring the clutch engagement in closer to the bar as it's almost entirely out and in traffic it seems a lot harder on the hands, if no adjustments can really be made other than the little adjuster on the lever I'll just deal with it.

I edited this reply, but must not have posted it. I will edit again now:

From memory there are two adjustments to clutch operation at the lever. There is the obvious span adjuster and also the screw-in pushrod that works the fluid piston. I have adjusted this rod to reset the clutch operation. It's midnight now and I need to put the bike and bits away, so I'll post photos of the lever screws tomorrow.

Oh, what's going on?

Now I see that the previously edited post appears as a new post below!

From memory there are three adjustments to clutch operation at the lever. There is the obvious span adjuster and also a couple of screws. I have used them to reset the clutch operation. It's midnight now and I need to put the bike and bits away, so I'll post photos of the lever screws tomorrow.

sweet, thank you, I look forward to the pics and hopefully some direction on how to reset the clutch actuation

From memory there are two adjustments to clutch operation at the lever. There is the obvious span adjuster and also the pushrod screw. I have adjusted the pushrod to reset the clutch operation. It's midnight now and I need to put the bike and bits away, so I'll post photos of the lever screw tomorrow.

7672805514_84d8ce534b.jpg

Above, you can see the pushrod screw end.

Below are pictures of the parts.

Take care: the rod may be set in with some form of thread-lock and/or the head may be hidden behind sealant that needs to be removed.

The more critical thing is the grub screw that must be screwed back before you adjust the pushrod. You may or may not have this grub screw. The Aprilia lever parts and the Moto Guzzi parts are slightly different. My current lever does not have the grub screw.

I adjusted this rod to give better lever travel, but as I say, take care as you could also mess up the lever operation.

7672806226_011d619860.jpg

7672807018_a0d22fcfe4_n.jpg7672808018_af35b5e4db_n.jpg

I will try to adjust mine a little, I'd like to get some nice ASV levers later, love those levers, just feel nice and the adjustments are great, or rol-a-click if I have to slum it I guess but no hurry, I'll wait till the mood strikes me or I find a nice set on ebay, has anyone tried the 1in lower pegs? any info on them as in do they really help or not? I'm 6'2"

I've been tempted by the other levers too, but haven't got any yet.

The much cheaper Chinese versions also get good reports. Pete Roper put a pair on his Griso, as I remember, and he also thought that they were good.

7672805514_84d8ce534b.jpg

Above, you can see the pushrod screw end.

Below are pictures of the parts.

Take care: the rod may be set in with some form of thread-lock and/or the head may be hidden behind sealant that needs to be removed.

The more critical thing is the grub screw that must be screwed back before you adjust the pushrod. You may or may not have this grub screw. The Aprilia lever parts and the Moto Guzzi parts are slightly different. My current lever does not have the grub screw.

I adjusted this rod to give better lever travel, but as I say, take care as you could also mess up the lever operation.

7672806226_011d619860.jpg

7672807018_a0d22fcfe4_n.jpg7672808018_af35b5e4db_n.jpg

This threaded pushrod is used to set a clearance between the pushrod and piston. If there is not any clearance or it it is screwed in , the clutch lever will work as a jack and keep fluid pressure against the slave cylinder. The more you worked the clutch lever, the farther the clutch slave cylinder would extend (and remain extended) causing the clutch to slip. I would turn this screw in till all slack is removed and back it off 3/4 turn.

After looking at the goo everywhere, I would use BrakeKleen on everything and then spray a dri-film-graphite spray on everything to keep it lubricated.

Yes, good notes Gene. It needs proper setting, which is why I put a bit of a warning that the operation could be made worse. As Ben indicates that the lever operation doesn't seem to be right, I was just wondering if the whole adjustment was off due to something that happened in previous ownership. It could be worth setting it all up correctly, from scratch (as you describe). I think that I did mine after it was damaged in a fall. In the normal course of events, it's not meant to be used as a casual adjuster.

I don't know what the previous owners did(there was 2) but the clutch action is about 3mm from all the way out which feels wrong to me, some love that style of clutch setting as they feel it's quicker and easier but I've found it harder on my hands in traffic than closer in and gripping the clutch to the bar then letting it out a little to go, preference I'm sure, maybe I could get used to this as it doesn't seem to slip at all

After looking at the goo everywhere, I would use BrakeKleen on everything and then spray a dri-film-graphite spray on everything to keep it lubricated.

G, If you mean the look of the rod in my photo, it's not goo, that's the metal surface: it's corrosion. That's an old part that I replaced. If you also mean the top picture: that is a black finish on the part - it's not silver.

Ben, I'll measure how my lever works, for comparison. It used to operate at one extreme, either when the lever was almost out or only when it was almost right in. Don't remember which: itwas probably when right out. After adjustment it's now operates in a better range and is better for feel and comfort.