charging idiot light

andy york

I'll be the first to admit my dislike for failed electrics .

It seems that when most of us replace the stock alternator we

go with the cheaper Ducati unit. In doing so we lose the charging light warning

capability which leads to the question...

Do any of our resident electronic gurus have any ideas on how this idiot light

could work with the Ducati alternator?

Andy

I have a multi colour led indicator fitted in place of the original warning lamp on the dash panel. Wired independently of the charge system, it shows green between 13.2v and 15.2v, yellow between 11.8 and 13.2v. I'll post up a pic when I can get near a PC (on phone at mo).

Ebay linky

I have a multi colour led indicator fitted in place of the original warning lamp on the dash panel. Wired independently of the charge system, it shows green between 13.2v and 15.2v, yellow between 11.8 and 13.2v. I'll post up a pic when I can get near a PC (on phone at mo).

Ebay linky

This seems like an elegant solution. Very nifty indeed!

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why do you lose the charge idiot light when swapping to a Ducati alternator. The charge idiot light is from the regulator/rectifier. Do you mean swapping to the Ducati R/R and does it not support the light?

I have Ducati style R/R's from Electrosport on two different Guzzi's and both still have the light.

I also have the electrosport set up on mine. many years back I had replaced the voltage regulator with

the Ducati . At the time it seemed to be common knowledge that you would lose the charge light.

Hook everything up and sure enough...no charge light.

I don't know why it doesn't work. I realize that everything plugs up the same.It just doesn't work.

I don't know if it is wired just a tad bit different or what.

This is why I posed the question so that maybe someone smarter than I could come up

with the answer.

Will see what happens

Andy

I have an Electrex rec/reg on mine and fitted the LED simply because it's a more accurate visual reference than the original warning lamp. I wanted a voltmeter, but didn't want to add extra dials to the dash.

The ebay seller in the link I gave lists postage to USA, so you could order direct. I haven't forgotten the pics of the unit installed, just not been in the garage to take them yet. :)

Ducatis are standard on V11, albeit in two versions. Early ones with charge light, later ones without.

For this 2 colour LED you could also go the Wayne Orwig route. He kindly provided schematics for even two versions. The one-LED version you can see here (below the tach needle, near the Zero):

valdisole1.th.jpg

Hubert

Here are wiring schemes for Electrex 451 Reg/Recs as used on V11 Guzzis, et al. The white wire is used for the charging light.

On my bevel Ducatis I've wired Electrex R/R's to have the red generator light act as original (on=charging/off=uh oh) and the reverse - as found on Guzzis. And I think the key to motorcycle electrics is keeping the grey smoke inside the wires.

If one really wants to monitor the last 100th of a volt there are plenty of inexpensive meters out there - and I've tried one on a pesky 1978 Ducati - but in the end a simple red light does the job.

I agree with Bob. All sorts of meters I could mount but in the end all I was after was ...

no red light =good

red light =bad

Andy

Here are wiring schemes for Electrex 451 Reg/Recs as used on V11 Guzzis, et al. The white wire is used for the charging light.

On my bevel Ducatis I've wired Electrex R/R's to have the red generator light act as original (on=charging/off=uh oh) and the reverse - as found on Guzzis. And I think the key to motorcycle electrics is keeping the grey smoke inside the wires.

If one really wants to monitor the last 100th of a volt there are plenty of inexpensive meters out there - and I've tried one on a pesky 1978 Ducati - but in the end a simple red light does the job.

Here we are then. Pics as promised...running and non running

2012-09-01_11-53-08_128.jpg

2012-09-01_11-53-39_436.jpg

Andy, you are, of course, correct about the warning lamp with the Electrex reg/rec, but I wanted to monitor the voltage at a glance without adding any extra dials to the dash. Keeping the smoke contained in the loom is a given for Italian electrics :D

To answer your question, Docc, over 15.2v flash red/green and below 11.8v, flash yellow.

There are two modes on the unit, achieved by fitting or removing a link piece. Below is the chart (taken from the ebay ad).

Battery Charging Indicator Mode (No Link Fitted)

Red / Green Flash - Over 15.2v:

Green - 13.2v to 15.2v:

Yellow - 11.8v to 13.2v:

Yellow Flash - 11.5-11.8v:

Red - 11.2v to 11.8v:

Red Flash - below 11.2v

Fairly easy to fit, but you do have to open up the hole where the original lamp fitted and trim away the sides of the housing. Sounds difficult, but obvious when you have the dash stripped out. Sorry, didn't take pics when I fitted it!