Pork chops

rich46

Hi everyone,

When I first started working on my V11 Nudie I asked the list about the anodizing for the red pork chops and was told it was paint and hard to match, Since then I have been working on getting a match for this hard to find color. I had been asked by some on the list to get back if I found a solution. I think I can say that I have indeed found someone that can help with this,

I have been shopping a bracket to different metal finishers and paint shops in the SF Bay Area. There is a little shop in Oakland that thinks he can match the look using a two stage powder coating system. Today he showed me a sample and it's damn close. I can't say that if you had a factory bit and one he had done; side by side it would be a perfect match but it would sure be close.

Price wise they seem to be very reasonable. As a test of his workmanship they are doing a set of valve covers and the alternator cover. I gave him the three pieces dirty,painted and he will return them to me finished for $70.00, Having had all kinds of stuff powder coated in the past I know that small amounts are usually quite expensive so I feel that his quote is more than fair.

I'm not giving the company name out until I see what sort of job they do. I get the parts back on Saturday and will let you all know how it turns out. Then I will know if I can recommend these folks with a degree of comfort.

Rich

Pricing seems excellent! For the record, go to your profile and add the year model of your Sport. Early Sports have different finishes. I suspect yours must be '03-'04?

Testors has a model paint that is good for touch ups.

For sure, Testor's Italian Red is a good match for the early red frames, but not the later "anodized" look.

One forum member noted the model paints, unlike automotive paints, have no hardeners and would not make a good product for a repaint.

Still a great solution for touch-up and far better than the old nail polish method.