Bike stalls when on side stand

bentfab

My bike has started to stall when I put it on it's side stand so I can open the garage door. It only happens when the motor is hot. It only happens when the bike is leaning on the side stand, if I just put stand down but hold the bike level it is fine. As soon as I lean it to it dies. Sometimes it will sputter for a bit first, sometimes it dies immidiately, sometimes it sits there and purrs just fine.

It only does this in my driveway at night when I'm coming home. When I pull up at the shop in the morning to open the gate it never has a problem.

Before I start tearing out my driveway to make sure it's not on top of an ancient Indian burial ground, does anybody have a better idea?

With the side stand deployed, the bike is running on the middle relay. Might give it a wiggle, tighten its contacts, swap it with another relay or replace it.

That relay is activated by the neutral switch behind the starter on the right side of the gear box. The connection to the switch is a simple female blade under a rubber boot. Easy enough to unplug, clean, tighten and coat with dielectric grease (or Vaseline).

Simple stuff first. I'm not sure digging up the burial ground promises to make your life better . . .

• 4 weeks later...