kit raceing ecu and mufflers tuneing?

v11brad

Can someone tell me what the MG factory installations instructions say in regards to tuneing with the kit raceing option, specificaly valve clearances? I obtained my 2002 lemans used with MG track mufflers and kit raceing ecu installed, in waranty exchange of flawed crankcase paint.

It runs good with stock valve clearances,with the exception of pinging during rapide throttle opening in 4th,5,6 gears, I'm guessing caused by modern california preminum gasoline.My MPG is resonable at 39 to 41.

Hi Brad

I believe it calls for setting the Co level and TPS to a certain setting.No valve setting suggested AFAICR.Cant set the Co level without Axione or VDST softeware.I just made sure my valves and TPS were set for a well running machine before I installed the cans.I swapped back and forth between the "Ti" and stock ECU's and found that the stock ran better all around.Many other owners have found this to be true.

Others have tried to eliminate ping with various solutions,aftermarket pistons,dual spark plugs,PC3,jailbroken ECU's,high octane, fuel,aftermarket mid pipe,to varying degrees of success.Dont know if anyone has definitively corrected it.

Myself I know where the pinging occurs and just ride around it without thinking about it on 87 octane.I do have a Mistral X-over and PC111 waiting in the wings though,... :whistle:

I'm going on vacation tomorrow,if no one chimes in I'll dig up my copy and scan it for ya.

Many owners go with the Raceco spec valve lashes .20/.25 .

I think thats fair MPG,could be improved upon with some of the options mentioned above.

Michael

I've battled with pinging quite a bit over the years. Assuming that your A/F mixture is correct I would say that pinging under load could be due to carbon buildup in the combustion chambers and on the pistons in combination with lousy gas. There are lots of decarboning methods and products out there. Give one a try to see if it helps.

I swapped back and forth between the "Ti" and stock ECU's and found that the stock ran better all around.

Just a note to add here. I just added the Racing Kit ECU to my bike. I have FBF high comp pistons, FBF exhaust valves (just a different shape), Stucchi crossover, PCIII and raceco valve clearances. The Racing ECU is much better for my setup and I have not yet played with the CO levels, TPS or the PCIII. My fuel economy jumped from 33(US) to 42(US) and the midrange response is markedly improved - 4,000 to 4,500 rpm. I only use 91 octane minimum and prefer 92 or 94 if I can find it but I also never give full throttle below 3,500 rpm. There is a lot of science behind that but just ask an old fashioned airplane pilot or mechanic (piston guys) and they'll set you straight.

Enjoy your bike!!!!