04 V11sport loses power and starts misfiring at trailing part throttle

CzDavec

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm not giving up yet. Does any one have the part no's for the harley parts that interchange? If the my ecu fixes the problem it would be worth it as the bike is damn nice and when its running right its a blast to ride.

I will try the TPS trick. :angry:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm not giving up yet. Does any one have the part no's for the harley parts that interchange? If the my ecu fixes the problem it would be worth it as the bike is damn nice and when its running right its a blast to ride.

I will try the TPS trick. :angry:

I'm not positive these are an exact match :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intake-Air-Temperature-Sensor-Harley-Davidson-Softail-2001-Later-/230703753645?hash=item35b703e9ad&item=230703753645&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Throttle-Position-Sensor-Harley-Davidson-Dyna-2004-2005-/330643970158?hash=item4cfbea986e&item=330643970158&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

one other possibility, I've seen a bike that cooked the gas in the fuel line as it was riding just above the left cylinder and taking in the heat..the hose would vapor lock and the bike didn't run at all.. worth checking where the fuel hose is routed.

If it comes down to that, does anyone know a reputable shop out here in Southern Ca. That could dyno tune the bike and map it correctly ?

Todd Eagan at Guzzitech.com will remap your ECU or sell you a powercommander with a preloaded map for your bike. I think he's in the LA area.

don't know about a dyno but Mark Ethridge at Moto Guzzi Classics is where I'd go in in SoCal.

I'm sure MGC can tune a V11 but I don't think they have the ability to remap the ECU. There are lots of places that can create a powercommander map (don't know if CzDavec has one) but as far as I know Guzzitech is the only vendor in SoCal that can actually remap the V11 ECU.

don't know about a dyno but Mark Ethridge at Moto Guzzi Classics is where I'd go in in SoCal.

I'm sure MGC can tune a V11 but I don't think they have the ability to remap the ECU. There are lots of places that can create a powercommander map (don't know if CzDavec has one) but as far as I know Guzzitech is the only vendor in SoCal that can actually remap the V11 ECU.

I'd want my bike running right before adding any of that PC remap stuff.. In fact my LM runs petty perfect w/out the PC.. the Mistral crossover was the key..

Thats what I am thinking, get it running decently 1st before doing wholesale changes to the ecu. I can,t believe they all run like this from the factory.At least I hope not. I have sent a message to GuzziTech to see what their take on it is,as I am sure they have seen a lot of these.

I am going to try isolating the temp sensors from the engine to see if it stays running good when it warms up. I will also ck the routing of the fuel lines as well.I am also considering the Harley sensors and tps too. I would truly like to figure out what causes this issue.

I still feel its something failing as when I bought the bike I rode it home over 85 miles and even with s stint of idling on the freeway due to an accident the bike ran fine. It wasn't until 2 days later this issue started on my way to Hwy 2 in the mountains.I will tackle it again on Monday.

one other thought is the cam sensor wire, right angled just out of the block. If it gets hot it could flex/melt right at the bend on top of the sensor and short out? if was completely broken I don't think bike would start tho..

Hi Dave,Welcome.

I'll just offer moral support here as I believe your on the right track and all the suggestions are good.

Guzzitech is fueling nirvana for most,but agree the bike has to run right ,first ,before going that way.I think they are re-mapping stock ECU's now also Tom,would love to try one but holding off because off multiple projects .

PS I understand not having a Guzzi dealer near you,closest one for me is 60 miles and not a great reputation,so being self sufficient is the way to go for us Guzzi owners and you have come to the right place for help,and most,like 99.9% of us, enjoy and look forward to helping others,so dont let anyone discourage you from coming here again and again with questions.

Hi Dave,Welcome.

I'll just offer moral support here as I believe your on the right track and all the suggestions are good.

Guzzitech is fueling nirvana for most,but agree the bike has to run right ,first ,before going that way.I think they are re-mapping stock ECU's now also Tom,would love to try one but holding off because off multiple projects .

PS I understand not having a Guzzi dealer near you,closest one for me is 60 miles and not a great reputation,so being self sufficient is the way to go for us Guzzi owners and you have come to the right place for help,and most,like 99.9% of us, enjoy and look forward to helping others,so dont let anyone discourage you from coming here again and again with questions.

I can definately use the moral support! This is very frustrating to say the least.As an old wrench turner ,if she had carbs and a std ignition = easy fix. But , learning the fuel injection is fun too. I just hope that the new ECU the dealer had installed before I purchased the bike is not bad, and causing this problem. We will see how she runs today with the temp sensors isolated.

Reading back through the thread Emry mentions a similar problem he had with his stock ECU. Did you try cooling it off with cold water, if it's temperature related there it might show up as improved performance for a while. There are no temperature sensors inside the ECU but it could be a component going bad.

I would also try as Fotoguzzi suggested and add some insulation around the fuel lines

You can always send it up to me, it would like the cooler climate in Canada :rolleyes:

Good Luck, keep us posted.

If you go to Moto Guzzi Classics in Signal Hills I bet Mark has a spare ECU you could try.. then you'd know.. He's a great guy.

I'll give Mark a call this week and see what his take on it is.I havn,t been to MGC. I usually use Cycle Garden and get parts from MG Cycle as I generally ride vintage bikes. I am curious to see what happen's this afternoon when I ride it home with the temp sensor isolated from the engine heat. I have checked the fuel line routing and it doesn't appear to be too close to the heads and cyl's to cause a problem from heat soak.Ahh, the joys of owning exotics and the length's we go to indulge our passions!

Dave Im outa town for a week but if you need a test ECU I can send you my 'Race' ECU if you havent found one by them.Anyone who's changed over to the Ti's and Race ECU should have a stock one,so maybe someone will chime in.Mine ran better with the stock one so I left it in.