1979 Moto Guzzi SP 1000

thebronze

SP is 950, LM is 850 & higher compression with different barrels, pistons, heads & carbs, breathing thru bellmouths with no airbox. Think SP also has slightly heavier flywheel. Otherwise mechanically, inc frame, mostly same. Bodywork/cosmetics are quite different but most parts on big block Tonti roundheads are interchangable anyhow.

KB :sun:

It isn't a LeMans I. It is probably a pig compared to one, but it can be significantly improved.

The SP fairing and lowers are considered among the best designs ever. They are a bit aesthetically challenged to some, but they do work well.

The SP is a mid-performance bike for Guzzi (so a tractor compared to the inline 4 crowd).

Along with the G5 (my favorite) and the Eldorado (also my favorite), it is one of the most comfortable touring bikes ever made.

Theres one for sale close to home and Ive always wanted a Lemans I. How close is this mechanically to a lemans?

SP is a sport-tourer, not at all like a LeMon [aside from the overall similarity all Tonti-framed round barrels possess, which has led to all sorts of cobbled together fake LeManszeses being foisted off on the unwary.]

Get the SP, fettle it & use it as your daily rider while you continue looking for your dream vintage LeMans... :thumbsup:

Theres one for sale close to home and Ive always wanted a Lemans I. How close is this mechanically to a lemans?

Sp isn't a Lemans but is a great ride. I agree with the fairing working great. The bike is really comfortable. I rode over 2000 miles in Utah on mine plus the ride from Socal and back again. The SP has quickly become my daily rider and the 1st choice to wheel out of the garage.

Dave