HELP Gas Cap lock broken

handtius

Hey peoples,

So here's my issue. I have a 2001 V11 Sport and my gas cap lock is giving me fits. Never had an issue before and just out of nowhere, the key won't go completely in the lock. It goes 3/4ths the way in. Anyone have any ideas for a fix? If it has to be replaced, that's fine, but I need to get it open. I'm low on gas.

Technically question: Are there screws on the inside of the cap to hold it in place?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

What model did you ger? I don't see any Guzzi ones, just ducati, yamaha and mv.

Uhhhh , i think you are correct.You can spray lots of spray LUBRICANT in the lock cylinder to get it open. I solved my problem by purchasing an Oberon fuel cap from eBay.

I will look when I get home this weekend to see the application decal on the box the cap came in......I think it is Ducati, Aprillia, etc. Don't take my word for it though.

Hey peoples,

So here's my issue. I have a 2001 V11 Sport and my gas cap lock is giving me fits. Never had an issue before and just out of nowhere, the key won't go completely in the lock. It goes 3/4ths the way in. Anyone have any ideas for a fix?

Dri-Slide. Oily lubricants attract dirt and cause the lock internals to wear. Dri-Slide is moly-graphite in an evaporative carrier solvent. Be careful, anything it touches *will* get stained black.

:luigi:

Uhhhh , i think you are correct.You can spray lots of spray LUBRICANT in the lock cylinder to get it open. I solved my problem by purchasing an Oberon fuel cap from eBay.

I looked on the box the cap came in..............pretty old but it fits Triumph,Ducati & Aprillia........ If I remember eBay seller had a "buy it now" or "make offer" price... There are MANY to choose from. Anodized colors, styles, etc.

BTW........theses are stainless steel fasteners so don't drop any in the fuel tank. A magnet will not pick them up.I know this from experience.

Hey peoples,

So here's my issue. I have a 2001 V11 Sport and my gas cap lock is giving me fits. Never had an issue before and just out of nowhere, the key won't go completely in the lock. It goes 3/4ths the way in. Anyone have any ideas for a fix?

Dri-Slide. Oily lubricants attract dirt and cause the lock internals to wear. Dri-Slide is moly-graphite in an evaporative carrier solvent. Be careful, anything it touches *will* get stained black.

:luigi:

Thanks. I'm going to look into that.

I looked on the box the cap came in..............pretty old but it fits Triumph,Ducati & Aprillia........ If I remember eBay seller had a "buy it now" or "make offer" price... There are MANY to choose from. Anodized colors, styles, etc.

BTW........theses are stainless steel fasteners so don't drop any in the fuel tank. A magnet will not pick them up.I know this from experience.

Thanks. weighing my potions. going to try dri-slide if i can find it. I did get in touch with harpers and they can get a whole locking set for me for $108 or so. Might do that.

A tiny spray of wd40 on the key itself will most probably correct your problem

Ive had it happen on a few japanese bike

Thanks. weighing my potions. going to try dri-slide if i can find it. I did get in touch with harpers and they can get a whole locking set for me for $108 or so. Might do that.

Technically question: Are there screws on the inside of the cap to hold it in place?

Yes there's one screw under the cap near the rear at about 7 o'clock to stop gas theft.

Do you think someone might have jammed something in the key slot.

Take it to a locksmith perhaps they have a secret way of clearing a lock.

If all else fails you may be able to attach a lever and snap the internal bracket, every second allen screw is a false one, the short screws don't attach to the tank at all, they are just there for decoration.

I had mine off just last week, that's how I know about the screws.

Gas Cap.jpg

The screws at 1,5 & 9 O'clock are real along with the one at 7 O'clock under the cap

You could also drill a 1/4" hole through the lid at 7 O'clock just in from the false screw to line up with the hidden one, that would allow you to undo it with an allen key. Once you get the lock sorted fill the hole with JB

Hey guys. Thanks for all the help. I managed to get it open. I used blue lube by benchmade. Worked great. Lock is still junky so i ordered a a whole key set from barbers, including a new tank lock, for 108$. Thanks again for all the input.