Bike sitting too long

Goosed Again

Having just bought a 2000 Sport with 2,600 miles I can tell you that there are going to be a few issues.  Mine have been minor but while the old sticking brake caliper has relieved itself so far I am expecting fluid to appear any day.  Old gas is the big one.  I drained out 3 gallons of some real nasty orange stuff and refilled with new and some Techron but the idle has not returned yet without the fast idle lever helping and it spits and burps every once in a while.  So, just be prepared even if it starts that there will be some sorting if the fluids are original.

The fuel injectors were a little dirty on mine when I bought it last summer-the first tankful of gas averaged 28mpg. Some seafoam cleared that up over the summer (and fuel mileage kept increasing). I just sent my injectors into Linder Tech for cleaning and they did before and after measurements. 64 and 65 MLS (milliliters per second?) before cleaning, and both at 66MLS after. At least I know they're fully clean at this point. Total cost was about $70 with shipping. 

If you do remove your injectors, be prepared for some stripped out bolts since they're 3mm allen bolts with locktite on them (one of them was almost totally stripped out before I even go to it, so removal of that one was a pain). I did order some extra bolts if anybody needs a set of them. 

Ken

Ken, How many miles on your Sport when you sent the injectors off?

22,000 miles. Just got them back this week.

I sent them in just to make sure they were clean since the bike was sitting for about a year when I bought it last summer. The bike was running great, but I figured why not send them in since there's too much snow to ride now, and the bike is 12 years old.

Ken