3K RPM Glitch

moto fugazzi

I have my 2001 V11S dialed in almost perfectly with the PCIII. One thing that I noticed is that the headers glow bright red, and the engine occasionally hesitates (cuts out or "hiccups")  between 3K-3250RPM's. It doesn't do this at any other RPM's at all. The bike has been properly set up by my local dealer, AFR is at 13.1 at 3K, and the CHT is well below 300f when this happens, and 3K is the only RPM that I get any pinging on with throttle of 40% or higher. This happens with both my stock ECU and the reflashed ECU from Guzzitech. I've tried contacting Todd about this, but haven't received a reply as of yet. 

The only thing I can think of is that the timing needs to be adjusted. Is it too far advanced that the fuel is not burning properly and therefore being ignited in the headers? Once I hook it up to Guzzidiag, any idea how much to retard the timing? Or am I totally wrong with my assumption on this? I've read about others having hiccups around 3K as well...  I should also mentioned that I have replaced the TPS, and have tested and/or replaced any potentially faulty sensors and relays. All wiring connectors have been cleaned, and FI have been sent out for a rebuild. 

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Ken

Don't know about the red hot headers.. and I don't think Guzzidiag allows any changes to timing, isn't that the CPU job? I do know i had annoying hickup/ cough right there at 3200 rpm..  FIXED IT WITH AFTERMARKET CROSSOVER.. I chose the Mistral. 

That sure sounds like it's lean to me.  If you verify that the intake rubbers and exhaust aren't leaking you might want to make a copy of your PCIII map then fatten it up in that rpm range.  If you don't like the results go back to your old map.  That's the beauty of the PCIII, it's easy to tweak.

I did check the intake rubbers, and all seems well (no cracks on the inside, etc.). I did buy a new set from MG Cycles, but they don't seem to line up properly for some odd reason-I'll try again now that it's not 20f outside and I can heat them up a bit. I have the Stucchi Xover, and just sealed it up with some Wurth assembly paste. Basically, I can't find any air or exhaust leaks at this point.

The AFR is at 13.1, so it shouldn't be lean, but I'll add fuel and give it another go. I've been carrying my laptop with me, so I change change maps in less that 1 minute.

Ken