v11 recall and slop in drive train

Guest guest_david s.

Guest guest_david s.

holiday greetings from nyc, i've got a couple of questions related to problems i experienced last summer- last summer at 15,000 miles i replaced my clutch seems the rivets went south. the drive line developed serious slop at this time, after the clutch replacement the amount of slop decreased but there is still more slop( way more) than there was previously before the clutch let go. i have not had the trans fix (has anyone?) and am wondering has anyone else had any experience with driveline lash, i'm not talking about the normal amount present in mg's. in addition what are your thoughts on the recall which invovles work on one of the cush drive and drive line lash? carl you once answered a post of mine when i was trying to diagnose my clutch problem, you spoke of repacking my cush drives, but i don't believe that could alleviate my problem , ( although you were quite right about the rivets giving up) thanks beforehand, this site and you people "ROCK"

I am a little concerned that the slop will increase because of the recall work.

I suspect that in order to save the transmission they made the cush drive more cushy which may mean more slop...

But maybe the slop will be more pleasant. :rolleyes:

david-s, which year-model V11 are you riding?

My 2000 Sport developed increased driveline lash until the gearbox was replaced. I thought it miraculous upon riding the bike again to find it had tightened up so much.

Part of the gearbox recall is apparently to address the 'flexible couplings" on the transmission shaft internal to the gearbox. This is not to be confused with the 'cush drive" which is a component of the rear bevel box.

Hmmm, another dual disc clutch bites the dust. Is this a trend?

The tranny recall will be a good thing for tranny smoothness.

The newer models seem to be better with the "slop" in the driveline, and this is probably the result of the updated "flexible coupling" that will be replaced along with the slider fork.

This flexible coupling is not the cush drive in the rear drive unit, it is at the output end of the tranny.

This reduced slop will not hurt but will greatly benefit the longevity of the tranny as the on off transitions will not "bang" the gears as hard.

The tranny is very robust, just an improperly heat treated part is to blame for the recall.

I can't wait to get the work done (among other "improvements") that I will do to the Rosso Mandello this winter. ;)

Guest d.starling

doc my bike is a 2000. i'm curious has any actually had the fix? i have yet to recieved a recall notice, and my bike falls right in the middle of build numbers affected. is there still a parts avalibility problem from mg?

Guest Jim in Dublin, OH

I recieved a call from my dealer about the recall. Of course, I had to call them first. Anyway, there is a time limit on the free repair(s). You might want to push your dealer to get it moving.

Jim In Dublin, OH

Hmmm, another dual disc clutch bites the dust. Is this a trend?

...another problem with the single plate - turns once considerate people bitter & vindictive... :D

david s. UJ OK? lots of lash hammers them & everything else.

KB, Cymru :sun:

The recall is from the NHTSA. So there is NO time limit. MG is liable for any dmamge, death etc. if they don'tfix this issue ASAP.There is a time limit for them to notify you of the problem. My advice is don't wait call your dealer. The parts will have to ordered and repairs scheduled. It could take months.

Backlash:

I remember reading either on guzzitech.com or the mgcl list that someone re-shimmed their tranny to minimize the backlash with some success.

Tom in Boston :whistle:

I know the shift drum on the 5-speed can be shimmed to tighten up the shifting but I've never heard of shimming the 6-speed. I wonder what they shimmed? :huh2: Any chance of a link?

Thanks, docc

I don't recall reading about anyone having re-shimmed the six speed. In fact, the only person I know of that has had work done on the six speed is Mike Stewart when his failed. The only other one I know of was the cracked case replacement mentioned by Todd Haven. The six speed is totally un-related to the five speed and to date, very few individuals have felt the need to peek inside as they are generally a much better gearbox than their predecessor. Interestingly enough, the original plan for the six speed was to make it a cassette transmission so that the gear sets could be easily changed. That obviously never came to be (along with the VA10 water cooled engine), but the basic four shaft transmission design did come to fruition. Along with any teething problems of a new design. The six speed transmission case is a lot shorter in length than the five speed one and on the Breva 1100, it is shorter still - which means yet another transmission case and maybe another change in the design and arrangements of the internals. Since it is MG's intention to base future big blocks bikes on the Breva 1100 frame, the days of the Tonti frames and our spine frames are numbered. The "V11 Sport" of the near future is going to look quite a bit different than what we're riding around on now.

Since it is MG's intention to base future big blocks bikes on the Breva 1100 frame, the days of the Tonti frames and our spine frames are numbered. The "V11 Sport" of the near future is going to look quite a bit different than what we're riding around on now.

Have anyone seen a picture of the breva frame?

The breva is wrapped in ugly plastics so it is hard to

tell what the frame actually look like and how stylish

a naked Sport with that frame would be. :rasta:

Guest captain nemo

Just curious - when I rode Louis' 2001 Rosso Mandello I noticed that his gear shifting was very different from my 2000 V11 Sport. Mine is tight and, as I call it 'Honda-like.' His was very clunky and 'roomy' - like it could blow up at any minute. He was also very concerned about this himself. Is this sort of variation between bikes typical?

Also, he mentioned that the newer sports had a bracket attachment from the tranny to the engine case that was not present in the earlier models. Is this what you guys are talking about?

Have anyone seen a picture of the breva frame?

That's a good question. There are significant changes for everything on that bike compared to current models. I think that the rear shock area will be more akin to that of the Quota but that's a guess. The transmission is shorter in length than the current 6 speed, allowing for a longer swingarm. The engine is further forward in the frame by something like 2 inches, also enhancing the length of the swingarm. The frame has to clear the new alternator, so the direct line of the spine from the shock to the steering head is not possible. It would be nice to see the Breva in something besides mock-up form. Especially as a naked bike sans plastic. As of last November, the wheels were made of plastic as no manufacture of alloy ones had begun yet. I think at that time, no one had even been selected to make them. It could have been worse. The Griso was made of plaster of paris at that time - they should've called that one a "Stone" model. :lol:

Breva1100.gif

:bier:

:mg:

Also, he mentioned that the newer sports had a bracket attachment from the tranny to the engine case that was not present in the earlier models. Is this what you guys are talking about?

No, the 2002 and newer frames have a 'strut' from the lower subframe just inside the porkchop traversing the gearbox to attach to the lower rear of the engine case.

The frame support plate is on top of the engine-gearbox junction and fastens above to the frame.

Guest captain nemo

Thanks Doc, I understand now. Did you say your Y2K has this bracket and attachment? I'll check if mine does. Have you guys seen that the new MGS/0l 'street legal' model is less power than what we have? (less torque).