The two smaller boxes are local breweries in British Columbia. The big box in the center contains beers from all around the world ..... except Canada.

Unfortunately I have been called away to fill in on a medevac contract until December 16 so I will have to return to the sampling then ..... I'll also try to document the international brews as well ......

• 1 month later...

beercamp20.png

I won't be a repeat customer.  Sierra Nevada is known for hoppy, somtimes very hoppy, beers.  This is a program where Sierra Nevada works with other breweries to make a new and interesting beer.  In this case, it's a rather bland lager with hops thrown at it.  Unremarkable.

Which brings me to my main complaint about the current popularity of IPA's-- too many breweries using an abundance of hops to mask uninteresting beer.  To be fair to Sierra Nevada, I like most of their products and thier Celebration Ale is worth looking forward to every year, but they are the exeption to the rule.

Erm, IPA is by definition an overhopped pale ale.

yeah, I do know that.  :)  But there are good IPA's and bad IPA's.  Too many brewers overhopping lousy ales to hop on the bandwagon.  Personally, I like IPAs, but simply shoving a mess of hops into the beer doesn't make it good in my book. 

I bet the dried out colonials lapped up everything that hadn't gone to vinegar.

Quite interesting - the colonial origin of hopping as a shipping preservative.

Makes me (somewhat colonially) quite happy to have what is being called "craft" brewing here, again, in the States.

I'll pass on the hops unless I've simply got to sail half-way round the world to chat about it, and have to bring my own beer with me . . .

What? Ale made without hops altogether? That would have to be some flaccid muck!

I thought ale used to be made like that, maybe a little honey added some preserving, but hops were adopted in desperation to supply the colonists, only to straightaway become a defining element of what we know as beer.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Very disappointed in Sierra Nevada. They opened an east coast USA brewery and are turning out some chalky, insipid, beers. Too bad. Fortunately, Great Lakes in Cleveland is still doing a great job. Really, they don't make a bad beer.

Tonight, it's their Kolsch. Fantastic for hot weather.

• 4 weeks later...