Tank paint problems

nobleswood

I had to have my red 2004 V11 out of the garage for a week and under a tarp. Thinking I didn't want the wind to move the tarp and abrade the shiny paint, I put fresh 'out of the box' painters plastic over the bike first, to act as a slip cover.

When I uncovered the bike, the thin plastic had stuck to the tank leaving what looked like a crinkled condensation pattern on the surface.

I cleaned the tank off with soap and water then used a 'cleaning wax'. No luck.

Next step was 6 applications of a polishing compound which removed the condensation pattern.

However, after a couple of weeks the marks came back.

Polished it out again but after a good blast this w/e, the blemishes are back again.

Talked to a body shop who said, because when I polish there's no pigment on the cloth, I'm still working in, or on, the clear coat. That I have to sand down to the color coat to remove whatever the condensation pattern is, and then clear coat again.

So my question is; 'What product was sprayed as a clear coat on the 2004 V11's ?' Or another way to ask;'What can be sprayed as a clear coat that isn't going to react with whats currently on the tank ?'

Thanks for your help.