Won't Downshift sometimes and trans leak

bikelee

Just thought I would run this by you guys. About once or twice a ride, the trans won't downshift. I NEVER force it to. Seems I have to come to a complete stop, then by working the clutch and pushing down on the shift lever I can get it to downshift. When I take off and continue for the rest of the ride i do not have a problem. I think maybe that time it won't downshift is because I am not pushing down on the lever enough and it gets hung up. Any thoughts ?

Also it seems I have a trans leak where the front of the drive shaft attaches to the output spline of the trans. Is this a common spot for a leak. Can this be fixed with the trans where it is or does the trans have to come out. This bike is trying my patience. I love Guzzis but man they are a lot of work to keep running and not leaking.

Thanks Leon.

A couple things to check on the downshift: Make sure your shift pedal lever pivot is clean, snug, and greased. Be certain the lever does not strike the sdie plate ("porkchop") on the downstroke. Give the clutch hydraulics a good flush with fresh fluid.

Once you get it sorted, it will be lovely. I'm about to get mine sorted here pretty soon. :whistle:

Lee,did you ever replace the return spring?If the shifter is not getting hung up it could be that.If you haven't done it  would be good to change it and I would change the other two while in there.

If it's the seal on the output shaft should be realivtly easy to replace with the shaft out of the way.