newbie with a v11...

thevoodoochild

Your problem is probably the shifter pivot bolt. Loosen the 13mm jam nut on the inside of the frame. Then turn the bolt (socket head capscrew) to the left or right. If the shift lever moves with the screw , the bolt and lever are sticking together.Remove the bolt . Replace it with stainless if you have acces to stainless steel fasteners. If not, sand the rust off and grease it upon reasemnly.

I let my bike set for 3 weeks waitng on a return spring to find this was my problem . Don't do the same thing as I did .

ill disassemble, clean and ill go to the home depot to get stainless fasteners...ill let u know if this fixes it....

This screw is about 4'' long...Home Depot probably will not have it. Is there a Fastenal store in your area ? They will come closer to having it .

home depot carries a lot of hardware now days... ill check there or ill buy it online i wouldn't mind the wait...

I had the tough shifting problem shortly after buying my 2001 V11S. Greasing the linkage took care of that. Also, there is a ball check valve that resides in the base of the oil breather hose at the engine. Make sure it's not seized. I bought mine from MG Cycles:

Ken

EDIT: 10-28-2013: A deeper look revealed no check valve. Apparently, this was "done away with" on the V11.  More discussion on this thread: Bell Housing Leak

28150560.jpg

I had the tough shifting problem shortly after buying my 2001 V11S. Greasing the linkage took care of that. Also, there is a ball check valve that resides in the base of the oil breather hose at the engine. Make sure it's not seized. I bought mine from MG Cycles:

Ken

ill get one tonight... just in case mine seized....its just $13....thanks

So is Home Depot the US 'Store of Everything'?

Not really. It is a home improvement/hardware/lumber store for the public.

they carry a lot of things...but i looked at it and u might be right, ill order online once i take it apart and figurate out its dimensions... thanks 

Mine measured 8mmX110mm . You could use a 8mmX100mm if you want. Whem you remove this screw remember the nut is a jam nut and the pivot bolt hole in the frame is threaded . When you install the new bolt (grease the shifter bore w/grease) tighten it until you have the shifter tight in the pivot. Loosen the bolt until the shifter moves up and down freely. Then tighten the jam nut.

Just like B & Q.May even be owned by same parent company as they look and lay their stores out the same.

Just like B & Q.May even be owned by same parent company as they look and lay their stores out the same.
In that case with fasteners they'll either have a thousand or none of what you want and they'll be in the wrong place too.