Fuel Leaks... what is this?

Jacob Ezzell

I've been having intermittant problems with fuel leaks.  Only with the engine running, but also when I first turn the key on and the fuel pump circulates some gas through the system.

Last time I thought i found it, thought it was a loose hose at the fuel filter.

This time while working on a bunch of other stuff, I cranked up the engine and found gas dripping out from around this part.  Never seen that before.

Two questions:

1: what is this piece?  What's it for? I couldn't find the name in my shop manual.

2: why would gas be leaking from it? can i disassemble it and replace something, or do I need to replace the whole thing?

2013-09-11+11.19.07.jpg

(It is just an aside, but is there wiring harness resting on your throttle linkage? It would be un-good for the throttle not to close when you would hope.) :o

I believe there is a snap ring that holds that together from the bottom. Then there is an o-ring to seal where the two parts join. There have been cases of that joint leaking (it leaked on the wife's V11) and taking it apart and cleaning it resolved it (at least for me).

But, I would strees this, you should confirm that the leak is not something simple like the hose clamp (that hose clamp does not look like it is on quite right) before you start taking apart the fuel pressure regulator. Remember, this is a high pressure fuel system and something that would not cause a leak in a gravity feed (or even pump feed) carb system can cause a leak here.

Another observation, the vacuum port, the small fitting at the bottom facing forward, is bent upwards. Perhaps a full tank of gas and a not so gentle resting position? While I would check the other suggestions first, and the main sealing o-rings are farther up in the assembly, it could be a possibility that the bending has impaired the sealing or the internal sealing of the regulator? 

You're sure the gas isn't coming from the hose? The hose often leaks at this point after you had it off. Try to retighten it carefully. A 7mm nut is best for that job, screw drivers are worst.

Hubert

Dang if you weren't right.  I must not have tightened that one when I put the tank back on, or didn't tighten it enough.  No more leaks, for now. :)

Another observation, the vacuum port, the small fitting at the bottom facing forward, is bent upwards. Perhaps a full tank of gas and a not so gentle resting position? While I would check the other suggestions first, and the main sealing o-rings are farther up in the assembly, it could be a possibility that the bending has impaired the sealing or the internal sealing of the regulator? 

Is there supposed to be something attached to that vacuum port?

I think it's been bent since I owned the bike, but I don't remember anything ever being attached there.

(It is just an aside, but is there wiring harness resting on your throttle linkage? It would be un-good for the throttle not to close when you would hope.) :o

The harness is an extra circuit for a relay to some oversize horns.  They aren't resting on the throttle link. :) Just a bad angle in the picture.

Nothing attaches to the port. It is there to provide an atmospheric reference.

Interesting, Emry's observation. I, too, thought it looked bent sharply upward, but think it may just be the parallax from the lens angle. Mine is angled very slightly upward and has about 5mm between its upper margin and the body of the regulator.