Fuel Leak around Pump

Keith Foster

Fuel filter shot #1, I'm going to print out the pictures and take them to my local import auto parts shop and see if they can order a replacement. It is a Knecht KL145.

The corrugated hose in the picture is from the top of the fuel pump. It looks like I'll have to cut off those clamps to change the filter.

YMMV, but this will be the 1st time this filter has been changed - ever (i.e. 64,000 +/- miles). I'm the original owner and never saw the need. I mean, how dirty is the gas in the US stations? OK, I know there are people that do get contaminated fuel, but for me, unless I had symptoms, I'll letting it stay put. Since it is out this far and easy to access, it's the old "I might as well while I'm in there" sort of thing.

IMG_0561.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I made the call as "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" on the fuel filter. I wasn't able to source an automotive equivalent locally and I thought I'd rather not mess with cutting off the clamps, etc. so I left well enough alone.

So, to fast forward several weeks, I installed the new gasket and tightened everything up. As this gasket gets a pretty good squeeze by the pump assembly flange, I looked at the pictures I took before disassembly and tightened up the bolts to give me about the same gap between the flange and the bottom of the tank. I took some time to do a valve clearance check, swap in some fresh brake and clutch fluid, paint the valve covers, and check some odds and ends per the "Tank off Checklist" and do a general cleaning with a rag and some WD40.

Next it was time to button everything back up and test the repair. After plugging things back up (fuel lines, vent hose, electrical plugs, tank bolted down) I bought a gallon of non ethanol fuel (since it is winter) and poured it in. After a little bit of extra cranking she lit right off and ran normally, I got in a short test ride from home and everything behaved. The real proof of the pudding was a check this morning, there was no sign of any weeping or drips from the fuel pump area - success! In all a straight forward fix that should last for a good while, thanks for your help - regards.

Congrats! I was debating on what to tackle on my bike today, and when your post came through, it made my decision for me. I changed the fuel filter and cleaned up the whole pump assembly. My gasket is tearing and breaking down visibly, but not too bad. I am going to order a replacement though. The little clamps were easy to install, a lot harder to remove! I will be updating my build thread with pictures now. Thanks again for your thread on this.