Sparkplug read

czakky

Hopefully this will show up never attached a photo like this. Sorry Jaap I never read the proper procedure. Anyway 800-1k mi. Little bit of stickiness on em. I always try to use ethanol free gas. I thought they looked ok maybe a little rich. Opinions?.....

Sorry I can't figure out how to resize. No big deal.

They look a little oil fouled and maybe the engine was running hot, like at an idle.

The unevenness and glazing argues for an hot, idling engine, although I have read somewhere that the V11 engine always has uneven plug deposits.

Best is to give the warmed-up bike an "Italian Tune-Up", shut it down, and check the plugs.

That way, you get an accurate reading of the running condition of the engine.

Back in the day doing a 'plug-chop' was the usual way of checking the fuel air mixture, before lambda sensors etc. It simply entailed riding the bike at whatever throttle setting you were interested in, I.e. Half or full, preferably up a slight incline to load the motor for a minute or so then simultaneously hit the kill switch and pull in the clutch. The idea is the plug colour will indicate the mixture at that throttle setting. If you just slow down pull over then check the plug you get the colour (and so the mixture) when it was at idle when you stopped. It was always a fun thing to do especially if you were a bit uncoordinated as of course pulling in the clutch too early had the revs soaring and pulling it in too late meant the back wheel could lock up,

They look a little oil fouled and maybe the engine was running hot, like at an idle.

The unevenness and glazing argues for an hot, idling engine, although I have read somewhere that the V11 engine always has uneven plug deposits.

Wow JB, guess I didn't realize how much you could read from just looking at the plugs.  I was in fact with wifey in tow looking for some place to eat stuck in traffic the night before I pulled my plugs. Impressive

Also I'll give the bike a proper run then. Seeing as how it's doctor's orders...

Back in the day doing a 'plug-chop' was the usual way of checking the fuel air mixture, before lambda sensors etc. It simply entailed riding the bike at whatever throttle setting you were interested in, I.e. Half or full, preferably up a slight incline to load the motor for a minute or so then simultaneously hit the kill switch and pull in the clutch. The idea is the plug colour will indicate the mixture at that throttle setting. If you just slow down pull over then check the plug you get the colour (and so the mixture) when it was at idle when you stopped. It was always a fun thing to do especially if you were a bit uncoordinated as of course pulling in the clutch too early had the revs soaring and pulling it in too late meant the back wheel could lock up,

So you can really get an instant reading? I figured it was a general fueling/health check.

See that's why I gotta ask I learn so much here.

You really can tell a lot from a plug chop, in particular with two stroke motors as they tend to seize if too weak.

For best results warm the motor then ride out to your chosen quiet road to do the test, fit a new clean plug and carry out the plug chop.

A search of the internet under 'plug chop' will give plenty of advice and photos of plugs in various states.

Be carefully, don't be too obvious about what you are up to, at least not in the UK, as road testing may invalidate your insurance and may be considered illegal.

Yes, when I said "shut it down" I meant something like what 68C suggests, although I have never heard the term "plug chop". That is the correct procedure, or as close as you can get to that. I did that a lot on my Vespa's.

So, "Italian Tune-Up" then go for a "Plug Chop".

Also worth mentioning that the Italian Tune-up Plug Chop should be done on fresh plugs. Yet with a four stroke, injected motor on modern fuels you won't likely see much unless something is way out of kilter.