Naked Norge Project

chamberlin

very clean looking conversion, you've done a good job.

you mentioned that the MRA screen is taller than you thought it'd be.

i have one on my Le Mans, it was so much noisier than the stock screen (guess i need clean air) ended up using a 4" grinder with a sanding disc & shaping it almost back to stock height. then draw filing edges smooth, works (& looks) great. just a thought.

keep up the good work

Thanks you also for your good words! Actually I do also notice more wind buffeting with this windscreen, although it did remove the squealing that my Shoei RF1200 was creating without the screen in place. But the buffeting is slightly more annoying and certainly more damaging to the ears. I did not think that this screen would be able to be modified by cutting! Can you explain further how the edge trim is finalized after cutting away the un-needed area?

some folks lower them with a jig saw, but i found it easier with a 4" grinder with a 50 or so grit sanding disc. maybe draw a line with a marker. it shapes fast,  and be careful, one slip, well you know... i did my MRA in stages, then would go for a ride, it didn't quiet down 'til it was nearly standard height & shape.

then smooth the edge with a file or sandpaper or whatever.

BTW my avatar is before i cut it down, was very wind noisy for me (yes i wear earplugs) YMMV

Thanks for the tip Stephano! I might just do this. Looking at the profile of the MRA, it looks like it would put you in 100% clean air...but aerodynamics are a funny thing I guess. At this point, I might as well try cutting it down, because the buffeting is becoming more annoying. I think if anything it might move the turbulent zone away from the affected area of my helmet, and improve the looks quite a bit too. Scary stuff cutting and shaping the MRA, but the hack-job method seems to be working OK so far! Thanks for your support guys!

• 4 months later...

At first I thought you were off your rocker, but that really turned out sweet !! How about a pic with the panniers ? Nice work !!

Thanks a lot! Just for you, I took a hose to the bike this morning and made some more photos with the panniers installed. Also changed the motor oil, gearbox oil, bevel box oil, and flushed/bled all of the hydraulic systems.

I feel sorry for the 'real' Norge owners when it comes for bike service. Every damn Norge oil change instructional I find on the internet is 95% on how to remove the plastic body panels, and only 5% actual oil change details.

I know it's really not a Norge anymore with all the fancy tupperware, but it sure is easy to service the bike now. Plus I love the look of the Guzzi power plant!

2014-08-10085244_zpsdacb18ab.jpg

2014-08-10085209_zps134d576b.jpg

2014-08-10085021_zpsd96a80a8.jpg

2014-08-10084924_zps8451c22e.jpg

2014-08-10084811_zps3238d348.jpg

2014-08-10084734_zps12697590.jpg

2014-08-10084656_zps68ccd666.jpg

2014-08-10084635_zpsf7e5d6db.jpg

2014-08-10084606_zps5768fe88.jpg

2014-08-02110202_zps4e7ac230.jpg

I think it is still a "real " Norge.  A nicely modified one albeit.  I thought you were/did paint the chrome wings black.  It appears you left them chrome.  :unsure:   Wonder how they would look color matched to the silver.  I have an 07 Norge that I am chasing a oil leak from the blow by vent.  That tupperware is a PIA, so I'm taking it off until I get that resolved.  Very nice work on that Norge. :notworthy:

Hello Stormtruck! Thanks for the good words! I know what you mean about the chrome inserts...but I had never planned on painting them. This was so I could try to somewhat keep an overall OEM look. Believe me, I HATE chrome...I just hate it...and that's why the first thing I did was to get rid of the factory Norge mirrors (plus they shake too much!). But I think I will keep these chrome inserts chrome for now. But I do have some special paint made for chrome...for simulated anodized look...I will have to consider it further and see what other colors are available. :grin:

I hope you can find your blow-by leak, I can't imagine searching for any leak with all of the plastic body panels on! It's so nice to work on the Norge without the covers.

• 11 months later...

I like what you've achieved. Looks great. Tell me though, how has it affected the handling?

After seeing this post I had a look at a Norge, (despite not wanting a full fairing bike...... not a lot of choices for used Guzzis here in Singapore.) I'm thinking of doing something similar, cut down or replace the fairing with a sportier one, like SS900 Ducati ) Something like this,.... lower, sleeker in my opinion.

http://www.motocykl-online.cz/img/galery/motocykly-z-casopisu-motocykl-12-2010-moto-guzzi-v11-sport-cafe_1.jpg

Anyway, I rode the full fairing Norge around the parking lot and found the steering really heavy at low speeds compared to my Jackal. (Could have been low tyre pressure.... )

How does your bike feel now compared to when it had the full fairing?

Hi Bob - unfortunately, I don't have but about 40 miles of riding with the full fairing (when I first rode the bike home on day of purchase). I immediately starting tearing into it! So I don't have a good base of reference on the handling.

Regardless, I really don't think there's going to be a noticeable difference however....too many other overbearing factors. Right now, I feel like the bike could use a steering dampener. I also feel it's time to get the forks rebuilt too. Feels pretty light up front (at speed), but then again those are huge handlebars

on these bikes with lots of leverage! I don't have any low speed handling concerns however, so maybe the bike you rode indeed had a low front tire.

I like that photo! A naked Norge is one thing.... but can you pull off a Cafe' Norge??? I would love to see it! :mg:

Chamberlin- What a wonderful looking, all purpose bike!!!  Piaggio should sit up and take notice on this one.  I am all for having one bike that you can use for short around town trips, standard/ naked or put a set of bags and fairing on and use for extended trips and serious touring.  Your bike would certainly fill a nitche market.  Not everyone wants or needs a heavy cruiser like the Cali, or like the style of the Stelvio.  Im not trying to criticize either of those bikes as they are both great for their designed purposes but they just don't do anything for me.  I have often wondered why Moto Guzzi hasn't done exactly what you have, made the Norge available with or without the fairing and bags.  Give the customer more of a choice.  Great job!!!!!!!       

Chamberlin- What a wonderful looking, all purpose bike!!!  Piaggio should sit up and take notice on this one.  I am all for having one bike that you can use for short around town trips, standard/ naked or put a set of bags and fairing on and use for extended trips and serious touring.  Your bike would certainly fill a nitche market.  Not everyone wants or needs a heavy cruiser like the Cali, or like the style of the Stelvio.  Im not trying to criticize either of those bikes as they are both great for their designed purposes but they just don't do anything for me.  I have often wondered why Moto Guzzi hasn't done exactly what you have, made the Norge available with or without the fairing and bags.  Give the customer more of a choice.  Great job!!!!!!!       

Thank you so much! It makes all the hard work worth it!

Well I do have to say however, that Moto Guzzi has already made what you are talking about. It is called the 1200 Sport. Same bike as the Norge with a bikini fairing and more sporty color pallate.. They are pretty hard to come by in the USA however, but I did see one for sale in my town this year. See the review here: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/moto-guzzi/1200-sport/2006/

The 1200 sport has handlebars and risers, and some neat sport features...but I like my front headlights better ;)

I think there are some gearing differences, no ABS (until 2011) and other eletronic differences, but it is basically the same as what I've made.

Cheers!

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi Chamberlin,

A most interesting read on your project. Kudos!

I noticed in your earlier pics, you had a Givi Trunk Rack. I was wondering it the brackets still allowed the original plastic bolt covers to be fitted on, or would the Givi rack leave the rectangular slots bare and empty?

The reason for my question is: I presently have the original Guzzi rack for my Breva v11 (same rear as the Norge) with a universal Monolock plate mounted on it. But it's low, and fully opaque (not like your base plate what has a hole in the centre.

I like that setup for two reasons:

1. The baseplate sits higher - Givi's bracket angle is higher than the Guzzi's flat bracket

2. The hollow in the centre of the base plate

Both factors allow the brake lights to be seen from a higher point (eg busses/trucks. Increases safety.

But it rains heck of a lot in the tropics and at times, in torrents.

So having even the small plastic cover back on allows water access control.

I look forward to hearing your experience. 

Hello mudskipper- I am sorry to say that I don't recall about the GIVI brackets and how the Guzzi covers are mounted. I haven't had that installed since I first bought the bike. I think I may have sold it off. The closest pictures I could find was these shots, and they're not on a very good angle:

IMAG0893_01_zpsn1cnknvh.jpg
IMAG0891_01_zps93z46vsl.jpg