New reg/rec - Odd voltage

Welshguzzi

The V11 makes life easy for them. Normally. It starts easily and the reg. voltage stays below 14V (as long as you don't mess it up). Add to this the robust nature of this type of battery and the fact that a M/C battery normally is not cycled, and 6 years lifetime are the least you can expect of them.

My first battery I ruined with a defect starter (mags came off) at the age of 7 or 8. The second one I nearly shot with a defect regulator which went up to 17V at least. I noticed this only after the second bulb went off after just 1 week or so. It was a good one, Nightbreaker or the like, and it really was worth the money - I thought :grin:    

Anyway, the Odyssey litterally pissed itself during these approx. two weeks, nonetheless it's also in its 6/7th year now.

Don't use a tender!

Hubert

Hubert,

I remember not to simply leave my AGM battery on a "trickle charger." But what do think is the best way to keep it "alive" during the long winter months?

*shock * treatment?* :o

... the best way to keep it "alive" during the long winter months?

End of October I stow away the bike, March I pull it out again and press the button. That's it. It works for me and it works for the buddies I have over here.

It does not work for the 6V types I have in my 50ies TWNs. They need charging every 6 weeks or so, depending on how cold it gets. As we actually have the Florida climate here, the mentioned 6 weeks already give a measurable loss of charge.

Hubert

I have an Odyssey battery fitted and a charger connected as the bike is not being used much in the Winter, why is this not a good idea? it states in the Odyssey manual that a 12v, 3amp trickle charger can be left connected for extended periods.

Well then, why not. Maybe 'Don't use' was a bit harsh. It may come from the times when 'Battery Joggers' were on the market. These thingies cycled the batteries and told people that would be a good idea.
Anyway, as long as your bike doesn't suffer any parasitic drains like from watches or aftermarket regulators a well charged Oyssey doesn't really notice half a year on the shelf.

Hubert

• Like 1