ELECTRICAL RUN !

andy york

Andy, Docc,

What does that 4 pin connector go to? Mine doesn't have that.

The black wire is probably a ground but I can't figure out how it could make the voltage on fuse so high.

It's the weirdest problem I have seen yet and Guzzi have some dooseys 

It remains to be seen if this was THE problem. Off to try and find the connectors to fix this.

Then we will know for sure.

Roy, the lemans has a smaller headlight bucket than the sport. The headlight plug has a male plug that pushes through 

the bucket and locks in place.....then the 6" jumper plugs in from the outside the bucket and then the flat 4pin connector

plugs in at the steering neck. :huh2:

oh well ...bbl

I'm not sure on that connector. It might be a LeMans thing and not found on the Sports with the earlier Bosch headlamp.

I can't see much on the left side above the valve cover with my tank on. (Yours is on the left?)

Sorry Docc ....there was pun intended there .....substiute "your head" for "Valve cover".

This seems to have fixed the problem.....Idle ..I'm getting approx. 12.8 - 13 volts at the battery -lights on or off

13.7-13.9 at 4k rpm -lights on or off     and no blown fuses.

Roy ...I think the wiring schematic is the same.The factory service manual does not really make note of the

various species ...there is a 3 -4 page addenndum in the back but I'll have to visit that and see what it is.

On the Sports this whole process my have been easier. You can readily access the wires for the VR and Alternator.

And you can see everything in the steering neck area. Had I not removed the fairing I never would have seen that

little broken wire on the Le Mans.

So now the rain is here ....might as well put it all back together....

Thanks Guys

So, the small connector is just the High Beam, Low Beam, Park & Ground

I am having difficulty in understanding how a broken ground wire could cause such a problem - unless perhaps it was arcing to one of the other two coloured wires.

How did you end up with 50 Volts at the headlight fuse that's what concerns me, if the battery is connected to the regulator output it should clamp the voltage down.

(In an emergency I replaced my regulator with a rectifier (full alternator output to the battery) and even then the Voltage didn't go over about 17).

The only way I can see 50 Volts is if it's the regulator output without the battery connected, a wire left off the battery terminal perhaps.

The DE regulator sends the full alternator current pulses to the battery, it's not like a battery charger set to about 16 Volts, the battery is like a huge sink damping the pulses down, with no battery to suppress the Voltage pulses they will go sky high.

I would just extend the wires from the other 4 pin connector at the steering head right into the bucket and crimp them to the headlight pigtails, this should still allow you to remove the headlight is you need to.

post-132-0-02977000-1387502840_thumb.jpg

Well ...I don"t have a clue about the 50 volts Roy. I suppose theres a very real possibility that I could have left off one of the main positive leads

on the initial new battery install. Ya never know without a crystal ball.I do know that the tach has lost all its magic smoke. Nada, Gone, not happening, and I don't have another one of those. Well I do but its a later model ITI.

Not even remotely close to the Veglia. I'll keep an eye on things ...as well as a used tach -)

later

I do have a white faced tach I could send you, off my V11 Sport. The dial is a bit faded but you could swap parts.

It has been open to paint the needle so the bezel ring is a bit graunched.

I  changed out the clocks for a pair from Speedhut.

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s526/Kiwi_Roy/Guzzi%20Dash/CIMG5019_zpsf8294390.jpg

Send me a PM with your address if you need it.