Ian Falloon books

dangerous

hey all... ok so I have a 1999 book the story of, but Im thinking I want a newer version, who has and or rates what?

the Lemans story looks good but I love the Guzzi history, is there a up todate book or beter a book from 99 on?

actually... just poking about and foud Falloons latest book is 08, was hoping for more recent, but... did find other author's

Jan Leek & Wolfgang Zeyen titled Moto Guzzi since 1921 (pub 2013)

Mario Colombo titled The compleat history from 1921 (pub 2012)

anyone know if these books are any good?

Not only is the Falloon writing excellent (1999 forward by Umberto Todero!), but Mario Colombo's work is superb. First published in 1977 with a beautiful and amazing preface by Giovanni Klaus Koenig, my 4th English edition is 2007 - wonderful!

I am not familiar with the Leek/Zeyen work of 2013, so my library has fallen behind!

No Guzzi library is complete without Greg Field's Moto Guzzi Big Twins, 1998, MBI Publishing, with foreword by Dr. John Wittner and interviews with Carcano, Todero, and Wittner.

(While many books of Moto Guzzi have good collections of photographs and, perhaps, some unique historical accounts, or preferably: authentic interviews with key Moto Guzzi  personnel, it would be telling if any new literature references the misconception that the Carcano V7 motorcycle engine came from the Mulo. This would cast deep aspersions on the author's scholarship. - - - makes me curious what say Leek & Zeyen . . . )

[ordered the Leek & Zeyen book - looking forward to a new Guzzi read! Thanks for the heads-up.]

I waited a long time to buy Colombo's book - big bucks, I thought. It is beautiful. Falloon's book is very nice and Field's book is outstanding for its content.

I'm really looking forward to this new book! Should have it next week in time for bad weather and more beer . . .

Glad to have books to read and good folks to chat with about bikes. No riding for me this month. Met a couple mates for breakfast and one rode his VFR with heated kit. Brave soul!  I was turning up the heat in my ///M roadster. :rasta:

My wonderful wife bought me the Columbo book for Christmas...can't wait to find a free long afternoon for a read! She also ordered me a book by Greg Pullen?...not sure what it is but it didn't come in time for the holidays...I guess it's just gone to print recently.

My wonderful wife bought me the Columbo book for Christmas...can't wait to find a free long afternoon for a read! She also ordered me a book by Greg Pullen?...not sure what it is but it didn't come in time for the holidays...I guess it's just gone to print recently.

keep us up to date yeah?

• Like 1

keep us up to date yeah?

Sure thing mate. I am guessing that this is the book I have coming:

http://classicbikebooks.com/catalog/product_info.php/european-moto-guzzi-the-complete-story-greg-pullen-autographed-p-1248

Moto Guzzi Motorcycles Since 1921, Jan Leek and Wolfgang Zeyen, Schiffer, 2013, arrived today in hardcover.

I am certainly not disappointed. It is beautifully bound and printed with an excellent presentation . The translation to English from German is outstanding and the photographs reproduced nicely. My acid test of Moto Guzzi scholarship is the handling of the V-twin development. It is refreshing that these authors have not just repeated the nauseating *tractor* story. Yet, much is left to misinterpretation with a caption alongside the military Mulo showing it in the famous wall climb: "Everything along the wall. The V engine was once supposed to power this bizarre vehicle."

The text is more correct and explicit, but this is the sort of presentation that has misled the least informed of journalists and readers for some time.

The more complete story revealed by interviews with Guilio Carcano about his personal Topolino project will only be found by the most inquisitive minds. Fiat was not Carcano's reason for that engine. Ing. Carcano, himself, was the reason. At that point (of Moto Guzzi withdrawing from competition), even Moto Guzzi, itself, was not the reason for the original Carcano forced-air V-twin.

That said (I had to say it), Leek u. Zeyen give us a well chronicled and personal view of modern Moto Guzzi through the acquisition by Piaggio. All of my other books wrap up right at the introduction of the V11 (Beggio/Aprilia).

This book presents the spine frame variants in good detail. I think not to be too critical of authors in the extreme details that we enthusiasts may hold dear. It would be hard for me to call the 2002 Scura an "optically upgraded version of the V11 Sport" knowing that the entire frame and other kit were completely different, and therefor, the nature of the ride.

I would have been remiss to picture a 2nd generation (2002) V11 Naked Sport in the section depicting the first generation V11 Sport.

And, yet, how could anyone know these small differences and nuances? (Late nights on V11LeMans.com?? :blink: )

The book is really excellent and very well done. There are six sections covering ten pages on the V11 series. And nine more pages on the preceding spine frames.

The level of detail does raise some questions. But isn't that what a literary work should do?

(EDIT: note that there are no models newer in the book than 2008.)

(EDIT: note that there are no models newer in the book than 2008.)so... that mean the last of the V11 is mentioned, ie the nero corsa... and I believe cos I have never seen one a scura R or something???

The last V11 section is "LeMans Nero Corsa/Rosso Corsa/LeMans from 2003"

No mention of the Scura R in this text. Although we know they exist, I'm not sure any were imported to the US.

"Current models" include ten models from the MGS01 Corsa of 2005 to Breva 1200 of 2008.

So, having spent just a little more time with the Leek/Zeyen book I can tell I will really enjoy it. The format of the presentation is unique and refreshing.

However, I would not rely on it for detailed technical specification as the models changed. The spine frame section ("Step Into the Future") contains a number of vagueries and omissions. It makes me think that we, as the Spine Frame Enthusiast Community, should endeavor to archive the best information available.

Chamberlin has taken an interest in amending our FAQ "Breakdown of Model Year Changes" with the more extensive knowledge and insight we collectively now have. No one knows these bikes like this forum!

Please have a look at the thread Early Special V11 especially if you have a Scura, Rosso Mandello, or Tenni.

Thank you for helping the rest of the world (and the rest of us!) set down some solid factual references.

I love this phrase from the Moto Guzzi model brochure, "Technical specifications may change without notice."

Indeed they did!