Gearbox leak

czakky

You guys know i couldn't go too long without having something a miss with my old girl.  Anyway after sifting through I think, every gear box leak issue ever posted (my favorite titled "the crunch heard round the world"). I haven't seen one like this. Since I bought my bike it has always had a very small/slow leak. Thought I tracked it down to the upper sump but not so. Now that I have the 80w blue "redline" in the trans. I can confidently say it is the trans. Anyway the leak is was real minor and the level never changed much so it sat on the back burner. Until this morning when I see about a tablespoon or more of oil on the rear rim and just on the rear rim. Dirty and sprayed on only like 1/4 of the rim. Bevel box is dry all around. Shaft is caked with old nasty oil all the way to the seal going into the trans. back of the box box is caked all the way to the bottom by the drain plug up to the left side by the gear selector.

Drained the bevel and measured what came out seemed real close. The level of the Gearbox was low so I added and cleaned both breather/vents to each box. Both were free and clear.

My question is I didn't see many threads about gear selector seals failing. A few rear seals but mostly side panel gaskets. What would you're money be on?

Typical gearbox leaks put gearoil on the exhaust collector, not clear back on the wheel. I can't tell from the picture it's not grease slinging off the shaft or the hub splines.

Do you pull the rear wheel for look?

So now it is as clean as I can get the crinkle paint, it's not leaking.... Atleast not like it did. Anyway I'm about to pull the rear wheel and tighten everything up back there.

Also whilst preparing to drain and refill with a couple new seals in hand I discovered something that may or may not be news to the v11 community. The magic elixir that cures most any transmission problem these bike seem to have A.K.A. "Red Line Heavy" is the exact same product as the "Red Line V-twin Trans. Oil". Good news as I cannot for the lfe of me find the "Heavy".

Does the RL V-twin Trans Oil say "shockproof?"

My understanding is that the "Shockproof" designation is their proprietary "synthetic moly" for hypoid gear applications like the bevel drive.

Of course I say that fully expecting my "understanding" to soon make a quantum leap!

This is good to know. With the popularity of "V-twins," maybe my local auto parts will have this.

Sourcing RL Shockproof reminds me of some guys I knew in  Florida who could sometimes find rare, er, *products* but they didn't really answer the phone. And often didn't have the same address from week to week. :whistle:

Cycle Gear stocks the V-twin stuff. This board sold me on th Red Line and I can't justify ordering gear oil online, since you never know when I might feel like changing trans. fluid.

I believe I know some folks like that too... Rare product purveyors that is.

Some of those guys I knew 'back in the day' finally did get *permanent* addresses. But they still don't answer the phone.   :huh:

(Thanks for the tip on CycleGear.)

Shite weather, so she's comin apart today in preparation for my soon to be trip. Found thisphoto(1).JPG

BTW the blue is the 80w red line gear oil. Now I have the red line heavy in there (red) and there doesn't seem to be much of a leak. Ignore the reddish brown grease that's supposed to be there. Also when I removed the old oil it was the exact amount I had put in.

My questions are what is/was leaking?

Also is it still leaking? As I don't see any red oil?

Well, no. A little weeping is . . . just that. Now that you say it, I can see the difference between the grease and the gear oil.

The big seal is easy to change, just don't pry it out with a screwdriver and scratch the surface. Like I did.

If it keeps weeping after that, it's the inner seal which is decidedly harder to get to. You'll need a Seal Whisperer. :oldgit: