Running GREAT!

docc

I was so reluctant to take the Sport apart to repair the subframe and address the oil leaks. It got worse as I went since the fuel injection/ignition harness was threaded through the rear subframe and I had to take it all loose as well (all the sensors, fuel pump, coils, injectors).

Between waiting for paint to dry and some parts to show up, I spent five or six days grooming and fettling and cleaning and tightening. Cleaned all the connectors and especially the grounds. Had the coils, and the battery, and the ECU completely off and back on again. "De-stressed" the exhaust system.

I don't know what did it, but the Sport runs better than ever! Sure, I adjusted the valves and new plugs, but this is fabulous!

Maybe every 89,00 miles/ 144.000 km the whole wiring harness ought to be unplugged and plugged back up?

In a fit of, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" , I didn't even reset the TPS, balance the throttle bodies, or crimp the relay bases. :whistle:

I'm wishing this totally good juju on all of your Guzzis!

• Like 1

The price of a good running Guzzi is constant vigilance!

Perhaps the occasional intense interlude.

Be well fettled! :luigi:

I'm feeling guilty for ignoring mine since last Aug when I got this,

sorry if you saw it already, here's the Guzzi trip just before I got it,

bump these to 720p if you can..

Going through a similarly intense interlude myself (new speedo cable, usual valve adjust, plugs, fork oil replacement, brake pads front and back, fork oil, clutch and brake fluid, replacement tach (thanks again to Kiwi Roy for sending me his old one) and last, but by no means least, brand new anodiised red caps for the reservoirs (just arrived today) as my nod to the gods of bling ...

Roll on spring - starts tomorrow apparently ... life is good!

Gio

• 1 month later...

Still running great! Over the last several years, I noticed a sooty deposit around the left head pipe/cross over junction. On this re-assembly I made a big effort to "de-stress" the entire exhaust system from the heads through all the hangers and the soot has disappeared.

Could an exhaust leak like that really make any significant difference to the running?

• 2 weeks later...

An exhaust can indeed impact the smooth running of a vehicle. It can allow introduction of air which fools the O2 sensor (not an issue for your vintage?) but it will also change the pressure waves in the exhaust impacting scavaging of burnt mixture (better at some revs, worse at others). Then there's the probability it'll just sound better.

The unknowable is whether the impact in your case makes a difference ... Given it's all your own hard work and diligence I feel you should be claiming at least 10 bhp improvement in the mid-range with 'significant' reductions in emissions ;)

The price of a good running Guzzi is constant vigilance!

Perhaps the occasional intense interlude.

Be well fettled! :luigi:

I'm not so sure docc. I've been riding my RM the last few days thinking "I don't think this things ever run better" It might just be something in the air or the alignment of the stars :whistle:

• 1 month later...

Yesterday, humming along blissfully on the long way home from work, she began to sputter and pop. Hmmm, "dysignitionism" I mused with a chuckle. Then realizing the tach was showing 2,000 rpm at about 70 mph I found a shady place to park up before she sputtered to nothing.

10.5 at the battery. After a jumper rescue and barely home I found no charging, a loose positive battery connection from the regulator and open 30 amp fuse. Ah - that's why the battery idiot light did not show at start-up! Idiot light indeed. :blush:

After tightening the connection and replacing the fuse, I realized how much crisper and sharper it is running. It wasn't running "bad" before the fuse opened, but just back to "running GREAT!"

The experience makes me think that clean, tight connections in a well functioning charging system is one of the major keys to a great running V11. :thumbsup:

I was about to start a thread "Paean to the V11 - the holy grail of biking" (I've had a few G&Ts) but this thread'll do.

My bike gets better and better.

I bought it in 2012 with a knackered shock, knackered speedo, knackered tacho, knackered swing arm bearings and knackered paintwork on the metal bits and still thought I'd found something special (first Guzzi an' all). The electrics have given me a bit of gyp since as well (charging and stuff) and vapour locks that had me fuming in hot weather.

Since then I've sorted the shock, sorted the speedo, sorted the electrics,  sorted the swing arm bearings, sorted [some] of the paintwork and sorted the vapour locks. In addition a PCIII as a birthday present last year along with a trip to the local doctor Dyno has sorted the fuelling.

I have done four 90 mile round trips to the office this week sometimes hitting 120mph (on private roads, of course) and 170 miles won't let me put 17 litres back in the tank (that's around 50 miles per UK gallon in my book). Some fresh boots front and back have sweetened the handling too.

A work colleague today told me that he was leasing a Mercedes C63 AMG. We discussed the merits of leasing and mused whether you can lease bikes in the same way. He googled it and the answer was 'Yes, of course: let's see, what's your dream bike, we'll find out how much per month?' I couldn't answer him: they don't make them any more.

I get off after a ride back from work and just marvel: this bike is just astonishing. Where did I get the luck to pick this up for just £2000 with 14k on the clock? I consider it a lottery win.

OK, so the tacho has just gone west (4th time in 20K miles). Don't need one really: the engine just says change up, change down and it's done, automatic like.

Just a thought: the Japanese treasure hand-crafted tea ceremony ceramics for the minor imperfections in the pottery. They couldn't find it in them to put them in their bikes though.

Wouldn't be a Guzzi if it was absolutely perfect anyway.

• Like 2