New Member Tacho Problem

baldyboy

Hi from a new v11 2000 owner that has joined my ducati 900 supersport project.

When I collected the bike (which I love) the tacho was intermittent (Veglia) I have done a search on this site but none of the links show the symptoms of my tacho.

At rest (without the engine running) it shows 1000 rpm when you start the engine it shoots to 2500 rpm and will sometimes fluctuate between 2500 to 3500 but it bears no correlation to the actual engine speed.

My local Guzzi dealers (twiggers in Loughborough) state just replace it? Or is it a known fault?

Any advice gratefully received

Cheers all Tim

Well done, then, on the new addition! The 2000 Sport is the fastest, best handling, best looking, most well behaved creature on earth. Well, the silver ones are . . . :whistle::rolleyes:

Seriously - the tachs can be flinky, but let's start with the simple (read:cheap) stuff first. The tach gets its current through the front two relays. Not a bad idea to first swap those for known good ones.

Flinky you say docc? That's charitable.

I've had:

1. the counterweight fall off (reads 12k rpm at a standstill and full bore),

2. After a spare from dave (on this forum) broke down, reason unknown, it was repaired by casadimoto via Stein-Dinse, the coil and electrolytic capacitor burned out, showing 0k rpm.

3. After that was repaired by peter bond, with a new pcb, it does what yours does.

I got the message: forget the tacho and enjoy the ride! Change up when the rev limiter cuts in.

AndyH

The casadimoto repair cost around 150 EUR and the Peter Bond fix was more than twice that. I've kind of lost the appetite to throw more money at the problem for now. Once I've completed my planned house move this year I'll probably get it back (the appetite, that is)

Maybe for someone in the UK / EU SpeedHut is not as good an option, but if the OP (or anyone else) types SpeedHut into the search bar on this site you will find that a few people have replaced their crappy stock speedo and / or tach with units from SpeedHut. They do custom graphics as well as a variety of color combinations. And they are well priced.

Plus 1 for Speedhut I replaced both mine that way, but they are a US company may be a little harder to arrange from the UK

Language barrier? :grin: