Fading turn signal lights

nobleswood

Out for a spring ride on Sunday. When I started out all was working well but after a bit my turn signal lights got slower and then seemed to stop completely. However back at home after moving the turn lever the dash light comes on after about 20 seconds then hangs there without blinking.

Should I start looking in the LH handlebar controls, or is it a defective part somewhere else?

Thanks

If it behaves the same on Left or right it must be something both sides have in common, as others say the flasher or the switch

Do both front and rear lamps come on at full brightness?

Something else to check

I think you would get those symptoms also if the Voltage at the flasher was very low due to some resistance in the feed

You should be able to measure ~12 Volts on one pin of the flasher to chassis with them on (lamps glowing), if not check at the fuse F7

on this schematic (yours may be different)

The key is to measure the Volts while the circuit is under load (lamps on) it will always read 12 V at no load no matter how high the resistance is.

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/2004_V11_Sport_Catalytic.gif

If it's low there, say less than 11 it could be a dirty ignition switch,  flick it a few times see if it improves.

Might be a different location for different years.Mine is on the right under the cowling.

Thanks all. Ordered a replacement from Harpers today; couldn't find anything with the right plugs or the right shape to go back in. On the 2004 the units under the seat on the RHS but you have to take the seat cowling off to get to it. It has a clip on the back that holds onto a rubber mount.

• 1 month later...

Eventually getting back to my turn signals. Got them to work by wiggling some of the wires behind the headlight. Traced this down further to the wires running to/ from the keyed ignition.

There should be a picture to go with that. Anyway, got the back section off the ignition switch and found a green / black wire loose & the indicators not working. Problem is there's no evidence of where it attached. No previous solder marks. And there are 6 places it could have been.

Anyone have previous experience of this wiring?