Leaking output shaft seal

Bjorn

The same seal leaking repeatedly after being replaced can be a sign of a bearing issue.

Clearly, it is not normal.

The video was posted a few months ago guys....

My last post is about the seal (again). I took the gearbox to TLM (moto guzzi shop) during the winter. They inspected the gearbox, have replaced multiple seals, polished the outputshaft and completely rebuild the thing. They even ensured me the play in the driveshaft (video) was OK. If I cant take their word, who can I trust :huh2: .

That really sucks Bjorn.

Have you verified that the gearbox vent is working?  If it's clogged pressure could be be building in there and pushing oil past the seal.  I can't imagine what else it could be assuming that the shop didn't muck something up.

Thanks for the tip Tom. Today we disassembled the gearbox vent thingie. Before  rebuilding I could not blow air thru it. Fingers crossed this is the problem for the output seal.

But the good old guzzi had another surprise for us in store..........lot of oil on the underside of the bell housing. With the color of red rust :thumbsup:

I recall the crankcase vent hose was a weak part. We found traces of oil weeping from the top of the engine around to the underside. This gave us some hope the problem lies in a failing vent hose. After disassembly and inspecting the hose we could not find any traces of cracks.

Looking into the clutch housing thru the inspection hole, I could see residue of oil as well. Im really hoping it was a loose lower hose clamp that is causing this and not the gasket of the little elbow behind the clutch. It looked like the opening in the top of the engine case where the vent elbow goes thru is not a tight seal. So in theory oil from the hose could find its way to the ground thru the clutch housing.

Im keeping the saying: ''Moto guzzi, turning motorcycle riders into mechanics'' ALIVE! :mg:  :glare:

Indeed, the vent hose can leak down through the bell housing if the hose is loose or internally deteriorated.

There are three or four other leak points on the back of the engine including the rear main seal, cam "bung" (I think that is a P.Roper term), and two bolts that must be thread sealed (I'm vague on what they are for actually).

Definitely worth servicing the vent and resealing the distributor blank as these can be accessed with the gearbox still bolted to the engine.

Definitely worth servicing the vent and resealing the distributor blank as these can be accessed with the gearbox still bolted to the engine.

Is this the crank vent? It looked like you can only access it after removing the gearbox/clutch.

The rubber hose attachment only is accessible above the gearbox. The distributor blank on the right top of the engine is sealed with a large O-ring and benefits from a smear of RTV silicone as well.

All of the other culprits are enclosed between the engine and gearbox as you say.